Profile picture for Sagelady

Who is responsible for replacing old broken blinds? Owner first said they would replace them

Who is responsible for replacing old broken blinds?  Owner first said they would replace them, now they say they didn't say that.  They said I am responsible for replacing them, at my cost.
  • August 12 2013 - Springville
  • 0

Did you  have it in writing your lease?

Here's a link to the CA landlord tenant guide. In most states, blinds are not considered essential in rentals so the landlord can ignore them if they want.  (Heat, water, electric would be considered essential).   Don't hesititate to call one of the numbers in the link above for clarification.

All the other posts assumed a purchase.  I'm assuming rental as you posted in renter's rights.

I agree with Nancy. Unless its in the listing agreement, contract, addendums or in writing, there may be little recourse. 

I hope you got it in writing! Otherwise it sounds like the seller is not very honorable or is having an amnesia moment. 

Sagelady, talk to your agent and see if they will also help you. As an agent, if I failed to get it in writing for my client, I would feel responsible and buy you blinds. If you used an agent and she was there when this happened. 

Wish you the best outcome on your new home and blinds!