Profile picture for m4rcos

Who or where can I ask about looking into possible house purchasing?

My wife & I are just trying to see where we can find more information about purchasing a home, how much money has to be put down, etc. Any advice would be most helpful.

April 26 - Central Business District

[self promotion and websites deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

April 27
The first step is to make sure you are qualified for a mortgage.  There are many reputable mortgage providers that can pre-approve you for a mortgage.  The next step is to sit down with a buyer's agent to determine your needs, locations, and reasonable pricing expectations.  I am happy to assist you.  I cover Hunterdon, Warren and Somerset Counties.

April 27
Most Realtors will not start working with a client unless they are pre approved.  If someone reaches out to me wanting to see homes the 1st thing I say is "I would love to!" Second "Have you spoken to a lender and gotten a pre approval?" If the answer is no the third thing I say is "I can give you some names if you don't have anyone in mind.  We will schedule a time to go out after you meet w them"

April 27
Here's a link to Zillow's buyer's guide.   It gives you a great place to get an overview before reaching out to salespeople

April 26

First of all, congratulations on deciding to become first time homebuyer!  Like I tell my clients, becoming a homeowner requires you to not just be financially ready, but emotionally ready as well. Learning as much as you can about the home buying process as well as where you want to live will help you feel confident that you can do this and will be holding the keys to your first home one day.

The home buying process can be overwhelming at times, after all it's probably the biggest investment you'll ever make. As for myself, I would have never made it through the process without my own realtor guiding me through every step of the way...Now that I am a realtor as well, I break it down for my clients into steps:

1.) Find a realtor you trust and communicate to them what you need/want in a home
2.) Get a pre-approved with a lender you (and your realtor) trust so you know how much home you can afford
3.) Gather and bring in your documents (income taxes/W-2's, pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) to the lender
4.) Start seeing homes with your realtor
5.) Your realtor will take it from there in terms of writing offers, getting them accepted and navigating through the escrow process. 

Good luck and hope you are a homeowner soon!

April 26
I would recommend you speak to a loan officer to provide you information about purchasing a home. 

April 26
I'd suggest contacting a local Realtor to start. They can explain the process to you and recommend some lenders.

April 26