Why Are Exclusive Buyer Agents Recommended By HUD? CNN? WSJ? Suze?

• September 05 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for hpvanc
Why don't you tell us, instead of just throwing drive-by pitches.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Fe Fi Fo Fum I smell Puffery in Zillowdom

This is the most ridiculous argument when it comes to our profession.  I find it comical that someone who lists homes as well as works with buyers can't provide the same or better service as someone that doesn't want to do the extra work to get listings and know the area well enough to run accurate comps.  I wish all you Buyer Exclusive agents all the luck in the world, but write it down, agents that don't have listings will soon find that their yearly numbers will fall fast because of sites like this and redfin and others.  I work mainly with buyers, but you can bet your butt that I work very hard to gain listings and to sell those listings.  

I also only show my own listing to a client if it indeed fits the criteria the clients desire.  

Are they?

The HUD reference that I see being cherry-picked is...

"If you want someone to represent only your interests, consider hiring an "exclusive buyer's agent", who will be working for you.

What's left out is the sentence that immediately follows...

"Even if the real estate agent represents the seller, state laws usually require that you are treated fairly."

Interestingly, the term "exclusive buyer's agent" is not defined in the glossary. The only place I have found that attempts to strictly define the EBA is...the NAEBA website. Go figure.

Also, the terminology seems to indicate that anyone who does not work for an EBA brokerage works for the seller, irrespective of an agreement with the client.