Why Smoke Detectors Beep at 2:00 AM

There I was laying in bed at 2:00 AM this morning listening to my smoke detector Chirp. OK, I'm guilty. I did not follow the simple routine of changing my smoke detector batteries when I changed my clocks back a few weeks ago. So I guess I deserve it.

Click the link below to read the full story: [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

• December 08 2012 - Rancho Bernardo
  • 0

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Sounds like you should blog this.

@Tim & Rachel:

I suspect he has blogged it, but violated Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.  

Perhaps professionals should recognize that links in their profile to their blog are fine, but not in Advice.

Looks like I can't post it on here, click the blog link on my profile to check out the full story...

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Why would anyone care if a Home Inspector can't even maintain his own smoke detectors????  Perhaps to know the inspector doesn't pay attention to details, and thus one should look for a different inspector????

And why change batteries twice a year when the batteries in many smoke detectors will last at least 3 years????  Doesn't anyone realize that batteries are now considered "hazardous waste" and are not supposed to be placed in the trash where they will end up in the land-fill?  Don't people realize that batteries have gotten expensive?

Doesn't everyone know that the smoke detectors monitor the battery voltage, and notify the occupant that the batteries need replacing way before the detectors stop working?

Who cares what time it beeps?  It only takes 12 seconds to change a battery.  If the warning notification is annoying enough, one simply changes the battery, and they are done with it.