Profile picture for DA12101

Why are apartments/condos/duplexes very often listed as 'single-family' homes?

Zillow defines distinct 'Home Type' classifications.  It is extremely frustrating to have only the 'Single-family' box checked but still be forced to sift through *so many* inappropriately listed residences.  Is anyone looking to do anything about this?
  • February 26 2011 - San Antonio
  • 1

Best Answer

I have seen an agent say on these sites that a double wide really is a single family home so it should be allowed to be listed that way and they do. (I disagree completely)

For me a single family house (dwelling) should be a permanent structure (trailers are temporary) that is not movable and is expected to last on the lot it is on for a very long time. In some places where they are vastly overbuilt such a sfr could be built with the outside walls touching the next house. Some areas this is standard. I only count a house as single if no other building touches it unless owned by the same owner and is something like a barn, shed, or garage.

I do not see a condo, an apartment, or a duplex as being close to a sfr. If others live under the same roof the building is a multi-unit regardless of what it is called. I do not agree with a double-wide, or a single wide, or a triple-wide as a sfr either.

Only a building designed for only one family and built on a permanent foundation should be allowed to be called a single family residence. Putting anything else in that category is misleading at best, lazy or uneducated at worst.

You are complaining about condos, apartments, and duplexes being listed as sfr. I am complaining about double-wides being listed the same way. I is a far to common listing strategy that is wrong.

Profile picture for dnhaynes
I agree with you. I am looking for a single family home in the Reno area. I have to look through a bunch of crap I have no interest in just to find what should be considered "Single Family Homes". One building the houses one family. 

A few errors = "simple yet inexcusable error"

"Sifting through" points towards "clever and unethical marketing ploy". I'll stop just short of saying '=', but prior actions indicate...

The system is only as smart as the people that use it. More than likely what you're seeing is either a clever and unethical marketing ploy or a simple yet inexcusable error on the part of the listing agent.

Profile picture for narmical
I have the same problem. I don't understand how listing a condo as a single family home helps the lister. If I'm looking for a condo, i will check that box, and totally miss there listing.

If im looking for a single family home, I'm not fooled because the address has a unit number.

Many times the MLS as least in the area I am in pulls the data from the central appraisal district and uses the information in there to classify the property type. So that may explain what you see and sometimes the agent might make a mistake.

It is for the same reason that double-wides are listed as single family houses. The listing agent thinks it fits. It does not matter that it is a false listing. The agent likes it.

Until the industry agrees to cut down on this kind of abuse expect it to happen. It is simply creative marketing B.S.

Sorry 'bout that. Thought that may work better for you since you were experiencing difficulty. I appreciate your response.

Happy funding, Rudi

Profile picture for DA12101
Rudi, realtor.com is a terrible choice to search for single-family rental residences and your response has nothing to do with my inquiry.

Go to www.realtor.com On this wesite you can go to advanced settings to simplify your search.

Happy funding, Rudi