Profile picture for wmd77

Why are there so many scams on Zillow? It seems like most of the listings are phony.

November 17 2011 - US

Hi wmd77,

I'm sorry you ran into these scams but glad you didn't fall for them. We're always working on filtering these listings from our website and it is a bit of an arms race with the scammers. You can help by reporting any listing you suspect is a scam - click Edit->Report a Problem on the detail page for the listing.

thank you,
dave

Profile picture for wmd77
Scams seem to be so prevalent in the Arizona listings, that all three houses at different times that we picked, not even at a great price, all had dead phone numbers and when we received an email back, they all said the same thing, that they had moved to London. I traced back the email address's and two where from Africa and the other from Indiana.  Zillow lost my interest, it seems to be worse then Craiglist.  So much wasted time.

@Connie:  I was assuming the original poster was talking about rentals because the post appeared in the "finding rentals on Zillow" section.   Was I all wet?

dawgs

sorry....i deleted my entire comment because I see this is in the category of "rentals"  which means....everything I just said was totally irrelevant.

my apologies.

Like any scam, there's always someone who hasn't seen it, YET.

Unfortunately every internet site is plagued with these scams.   My humble opinion is they must work at least part of the time for the scammers to be so pervasive. 

You can report rental scams  you find on Zillow by clicking on "edit' --> report problem ---> rental scam.

Here's Zillow's FAQ on scams and internet fraud.