Profile picture for craigstew

Why did the 5 year graph, showing my house value, totally change from the one that I had been watchi

Dear Zillow,
A few days ago I noticed that my home value dropped $40,000+ and the 5 year graph, which has been part of my home details, radically changed.  It was totally different from the one I had been observing.  It was so different that it appears to be a graph for a different property.  Although the Zestimate showed the home value drop $40,000+ the details showed that the change in value was only $6,000+ difference.  My home up to a few days ago had stayed very flat as fais as in change in value.  I think there must have been a mistake.  The house in question is 612 SW Normandy Rd., Normandy Park, WA 98166.  The part that really throws me is that the graph is totally different from the one I had been viewing as part of the details for this home.
Craig Stewart
craigstew@gmail.com
  • June 16 2011 - Normandy Park
  • 0

Best Answer

• Ice L.Zillow
Craig -

We've recently improved our proprietary Zestimate® home valuations. We have also made changes to the Zestimate history because we want changes in Zestimate values over time to reflect changes in the market, not changes in how Zillow computes its algorithm. Our new algorithm doesn't just improve current accuracy, it improves historical accuracy, giving consumers a better idea of what a home was worth over time.

We now have two blog posts on the recent changes:

Zillow Expands and Improves Database of Homes
Upgrading the Zestimate

Profile picture for Dunes....

"Historical Zestimates"

"With the data delivery yesterday, we have re-computed historical Zestimates back to January 2006. There are a few algorithmic developments that we are still working on and, once these are done, we intend to re-compute all Zestimates back to 1996."
http://www.zillow.com/blog/research/2011/06/14/upgrading-the-zestimate/