Profile picture for Tizzymomma

Why do homes listed as for sale have what seems to be a rental price listed?

When I search for homes for sale a lot of houses with what can only be a rental price show up in my "for sale" only list. The descriptions are written as if the home is for sale. ?????

October 01 2011 - US

There are also scams out there that are using real home "for sale listings." The idea is they take the listing off of the internet, post it with a rental price, rent it out, collect a security deposit then disappear. I have experienced this with one of my listings.

Always call the listing agent with any questions, that is what they are there for. 

You can always check with a Real Estate agent for clarity. Are these only showing up on Zillow?

It is possible that the house is both for sale and for rent. Zillow will only allow one posting or the other. If the sale price is too low, it is likely that it is a mislisted rental. You can always follow the feed at the bottom of the page to see what the original source of the listing looks like. Sometimes that is a good way to find out if it is for rent or sale.

If it looks too good to be true, it usually isn't!  I agree with your previous response, contact the Zillow agent.

If the price looks like a rental then it is most likely for lease.  It is easy to make the mistake of clicking for sale in stead of for lease, I've done it myself :)  Your best bet is to contact one of the zillow agents and they will be able to assist you.