Profile picture for DianeBohn

Why do you have rental agencies who discriminate on this site

I just want to say...why do you let agencies, home owners post on your site who are bias...against section8, against families and against income?

August 24 2013 - San Jose

Great answer Wetdawgs!  I concur....

Zillow does not allow landlords to discriminate against the categories in the Fair Housing act (race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap).    Section 8 is not a protected category, nor is income.     Most landlords ask everyone the source of their income, that is not discriminatory.

In my area, it costs the landlord  to get qualified for section 8 (about one to two  months of rent plus a lot of time and red tape) plus money every year to keep the status.    That is a lot of money for the landlord to spend when it is easy to get tenants without the section 8 status. 

May your pathway in life get you to the point that you can chose any rental you wish as you no longer need section 8 assistance.

I am sorry you are having a hard time to find a home that will take your section 8 voucher.    Good luck.

Profile picture for DianeBohn
It is not that I can not pay the rent, I go through series of questions some very personal, what should matter is that I can pay the rent, not where I get my money or how, It is very hard because I am a good renter, I have a very good track record with the homes I rent and I keep up there homes, but, because I am not a home owner I have to move, very stressful...I understand some home owners don't want to mess with all the red tape of section8, but in the long run, it benefits everyone involved..I know that section8 gets a bad rap, but some of the renters they have, for instance..the renters do not take care of the property, the renters do drugs, the renters have to many children all of these questions can be correct, but for the most part of people who use section8 are people who need it, with out, they will be homeless..all of these situations can happen to regular renters also...well they have a job, they work so it is ok....not right..I know people get mad because of the program, but we are human beings, people think they waste money on this program, but it is a human factor, not a waste of money, home owners should not look at it like this because it is a necessary benefit that we all need not a waste of money and us people deserve to live in a nice community, nice home and not be forced to move to areas that are bad and endanger our families that is what is happening now and it has been that way for a long time...It is not fair, selfishness, of the rich and powerful..all we ask is that we can rent a nice home with out being discriminated against in any fashion, thanks for replying, I hope you get a better perspective of what it is like to try to rent a home with section8 and I know that program is not that perfect and it has it's own bias with in the program, you think that does not happen, ha think again and that is what makes it even harder to find a home,but anyway, thanks for letting me voice my opinion Diane Bohn

If there are rental agencies that are discriminating, you should tell your local housing authority. Just because a rental company / homeowner doesn't accept section 8, doesn't mean they discriminate. Section 8 properties require certification and many property owners don't believe it's worth the trouble. If you can prove discrimination on the basis of family, that is another matter. But if they believe you can't pay the rent, that's a whole other story.