Profile picture for cjschaffer3

Why does my home seem less then others nearby?

My home address is 5200 Backwoodsman Ave. I have quite a few extras in my property, but seem to get a lower price then other homes in the area. All my yards are landscaped and I have a hot tub on the patio. The patio is large and covered. Any ideas why my home is less? Thank you, Catherine

November 16 2013 - North Cheyenne

There are a lot of factors that go into making a homes valuation. I would recommend getting an up to date and accurate price analysis from an RE agent. Don't rely solely on this site for the info. Good luck

Greetings,

Unfortunately, most Automated Valuation Models, like Zestimates, pull from too many sources to be accurate. Guidelines are nice, however it is suggested that when it's time to list a home or buy a home, clients should rely on relevant data from a knowledgeable Realtor. 

Hi Catherine, If you are referring to the Zillow valuation, your home's lower value could be for a number of reasons. I would recommend first that you claim your home in Zillow, and add all of the improvements that you have made to your home. Another thing to consider, is that some home improvements don't add as much value to your home as you think they might. For example, upgrading your landscaping would not give you the boost in valuation that adding a pool and spa or another bedroom and bathroom would. Be strategic in your upgrades and you will see a bigger boost in valuation.  

Profile picture for cjschaffer3
All:
I was just trying to get my home's price up a bit on Zillow. Zillow really does not review their homes and prices in the area. A realtor always does a good job of doing that with a cma, but the average buyer doesn't understand and will give the seller a difficult time over the price when they see the Zillow estimate. Luckily we have inspectors and assessors that will look at homes in the area a little more thoroughly. Thanks for the information, but I was trying to get Zillow to review their software.
Catherine

Zestimates only go by area and what is listed and sold in that area.  They don't know about your extras and upgrades.  An appraisal should give you a true market value of your home. 

I don't go by the Zestimates and I don't know any Realtor that does. 

Zestimate does not take into consideration the upgrades you have done to your home.  The best way to find out what your house is worth is to contact a local realtor. 

If you're referring to the Zestimate, the number should never be taken seriously.  99.9% of Realtors tend to use it for humor and dismiss it quickly.  If you want a good idea of your home's worth, contact a local Realtor and request a CMA (comparative market analysis).  Most all will do one for free.

As a Realtor then you know youll never know how much your home is worth until you list it for sale. Zillow simply tries to do their best, but there are too many factors involved. 

Profile picture for cjschaffer3
All:
I understand how realtors create a custom Comparative Market Analysis of your home. I was a realtor in Las Vegas for 5 years. Zillow just seems very low in their calculations. I am renting my two homes there now and may sell next year. We will see how the market is again next year.
Thanks for the responses.
Catherine

haha - It just seems that way because its your home. It always seems that way....

Zestimates will vary over time... yours might seem low today, check back in a couple months, it might seem high.... simple natural deviation of values and Zillows algorithim....

You must contact a Realtor in your area to get an accurate value. 

Hi Catherine,

I agree with the other agents that the Zestimate is a starting point, but is more computer generated based on the comps for the last few months.

The human part of pricing your home would require a good realtor to come into your home and see the things that a computer simply can't (your landscaping, hot tub and all the other upgrades you have put into your home).

Good luck and hope you get the best price possible when it comes time to sell!

Have you had the opportunity to go with your agent to preview the other homes on the market currently?
Compare the amenities,  the condition, and location of these homes to your home. Are you on a very busy street? Is your street as clean and well maintained as others?  Many things other than square footage effect the pricing of homes.

Hi Catherine,
Zillow's Zestimate Feature is not as specific as a REALTOR would be in creating a custom Comparative Market Analysis of your home. Its not able to identify the interior upgrades or nuance that may affect your home's value compared with similar homes nearby. Its always best, if you're interested in knowing a realistic value for your home, to contact a trusted and reputable REALTOR that can provide you with a more in-depth analysis. I do not charge for this service.