Profile picture for padre2

Why does my husband have to sign refi certain documents if he's not on deed or mortgage

I am married and live in PA.  I bought my house years before I met my husband and I never added him to the deed or mortgage.  I am refinancing but only using my credit.  Title Company insists that my husband sign 3 documents since PA is a dower state.  I don't agree since my husband has nothing to do with my deed or mortgage or refi.

October 07 2010 - Springfield

Profile picture for padre2
Thank you so much, Mr. Nolan.  I refused to have my husband sign the documents and asked them to forward any documentation to back up their determination that he did need to sign due to certain dower rights. The Title company's response was that they changed underwriters and that he was no longer required to sign the documents.  I believe they were just trying to save face and that they probably researched it and found that I was correct.  I did sign the documents without my husband.  I want to thank you for your interest in my question and for offering your assistance.  I will keep your contact information handy in the event I know of someone else who needs expert advice in this area.

Title company is incorrect.  In PA as long as no divorce proceeding has been filed spousal signature not required by a spouse who is not in title to the property.

Sounds like you're probably using an out of the area title company that does not understand Pennsylvania law.  My family has been in the title insurance business in PA since 1975 so I know what I'm talking about.

If you need help with a referral to a title company that will do this without spousal signature contact me.  Other than the possible inconvenience, if your spouse is willing to sign probably not a big deal.  In that case just close with the existing title company.

Because he has a marital interest in the property that can only be dissolved one way, divorce.