Why is B of A taking over 3 months to respond my offer?

My wife and I put an offer on a house 3 months ago, and we have yet to here anything from B of A! Supposedly, all the sellers paperwork is in order and appraisal was supposed to be order, but nothing? There is only 1 loan! Our offer was only 10k less than what the sellers paid for the house back in 2009.
  • September 06 2012 - Sacramento
  • 0

I agree with Elizabeth. It sounds like a short sale being negotiated by one of BofA's notoriously SLOW 3rd parties.

I have 2 files with them right now where it has taken 2 months just to have someone assigned! They've been re-assigned twice since then.

A good buyer's agent has knowledge on typical short sale timelines. Anythime a listing agent tells me the homeowner is trying for HAFA (with an offer), I tell my buyer that it will be a 3-5 month wait. The only time I've had a 2 month wait was with DTS, the least evil of their 3rd parties.

I cannot comment on your particular offer but unless your short sale is a HAFA, this should not take more than 90 to 120 days to get approval from Bank of America. But if it's HAFA, all bets are off because the third-party vendors are typically very slow and they tend to make mistakes. It also might not be a Bank of America investor. B of A might be the servicer and the investor is somebody else. Or, there could be MI insurance, most likely placed on the property and paid for by B of A itself.

People like to say that your file will fall to the bottom of the pile at B of A if you don't call all the time, but the fact is all of the files at Bank of America are at the bottom of the pile.

Profile picture for Rita Walker
Do you have a Buyer's agent working on your behalf in this matter?

If this is a short-sale, the process can take months. However, the agents cannot just sit back and wait for the bank to respond to them. They must be proactive in the process, making frequent calls and email inquiries to the asset manager or negotiator. Otherwise your offer will go to the bottom of the pile of work on their desk.

If it is a foreclosure, the process should be much faster. The rules differ from state to state on how foreclosures are handled. This is something you should be speaking with your agent about.
Please tell me you have your own representation (Buyer's Agent).