Profile picture for silverfig

Why is Central Air so important to many people ?

The house I own now is very well built. Aside from the Attic, it stays naturally cool unless its 100 degrees.

I live in SE PA.

I do have window units. They keep things incredibly cool on a humid sticky day. Just one little unit cools the whole living room /dining kitchen (an area that is 35 by 40)

My house is very old and it would cost around 15 k to install central air.

Is it really that important to people ?

• August 10 2008 - US
  • 0

Yes. I own an older home with forced oil heat and the ductwork is upgraded to accomodate central air. The cost to add it would be around $4K. I will not add it and become like everybody else who keeps their windows closed when it is 75 degrees outside. I live in Virginia but we have 10 ft ceilings, ceiling fans, lots of windows (cross breezes) and a pool. This summer it would have been nice to have a couple of times but we owuld have ended up using all the time.

Profile picture for Alan May

Sorry... I guess we United States Residents (I hate to say Americans, because that encompasses, all of north and south America too) have become soft.  Especially as we age.  I live in a 50's brick home, that keeps fairly cool in warm weather, but isn't really designed the same as the old craftsmn, timber and stucco homes were.

Those older homes were designed with property cross-ventilation, high ceilings to keep the warm air up above, thick walls to hold in the cool, and keep out the heat (or vice versa in the winter), transoms to allow upper air movement.  Today's homes are not designed that well.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a home, today, without Central Air, unless I was living in a colder climate.  If that makes me soft... so be it... but it also makes me "cool".

Profile picture for Clearpoint

Why have central air?  Heck, why have heat, indoor plumbing, lights.....  Because that's what people want, modern conveniences.  

Profile picture for grannygown

If you lived in Florida you would know why.  My central heat & air gave out about 8 years ago and I decided to go an entire year without air or heat, I was miserable. 

also during the hurricane 4 years ago our city was without electricity for 7 days, boy were we glad when that air kicked on again...I had a swimming pool at the time and we would get into it to cool off but if you were out for five minutes you roasted.  The nights were the worst. August nights and no air of any kind for seven nights..

Its 95 here right now and I am fine.

Dual pane glass, ceiling fans and insulated drapes have my town home checking in at 70 degress with a nice indoor breeze.

Here in cali it does not get that humid so i didnt think about central air when i bought. If I had the wife would have run it 24/7 and probably racked up a bill the size of the payment to own!

We do have a room unit for the master if it gets to hot we will cool off that one room to have a retreat.

Profile picture for mina36
yeah, it's that important. Try living in NC or FL without it!!

Profile picture for rangersmom

I live in SE PA to and window units are, in a word, ghetto.

Profile picture for mina36
Well...no..not ghetto. Just practical, if needed. I have one in my bedroom, as well as CHA. But when it's 100 here, my AC only makes it 80 in here. So the extra AC is very useful.

I live in SE PA to and window units are, in a word, ghetto.

yes but better than sweating your azz off!

I have one of those home depot $400 dollar room unit ones (not widow unit) and it cranks!

Profile picture for maryanne72856

wouldn't buy a home without central a/c 

Tulsa  105 last week.  I'll pay the 171 dollar bill for one month to stay cool or warm.  it's few pleasures in life.     a/c  , heat,  cable tv and good couch ahhh

Profile picture for writeagain

Allergies.  When you're like me, not having central air sucks.  A window unit is O.K., but then I can only stay in that room.  If I leave, achoo!  Central air cleans the entire house and I can go wherever I want.  I realize there's allergy meds but towards the end of the season, they just don't work anymore and I need the AC just to make it through the night.

Profile picture for greg1231

Separate window units use more electricity and are less efficient than C/A. We use ours in conjunction with an electronic thermostat. Since turning on the AC, our electric bill is only $17/month higher, and we had several days in the high nineties. The newer C/A units also have a dehumidify function that is great for cooler days with high humidity.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

I prefer c/a for the quietness of them (as well as the cooling obviously) BUT, the house we bought does not have it.  No forced air either, baseboard oil.  It would cost us between $15-20K to install (w/ family rate lol) but we won't do it for some time.  This summer we've used our window unit in the MB maybe 3 times.  (Shoreline, CT)  If the summers are all like this we may never do it.  We have a pool as well, so when it's hot and sticky we're floating in there lol

Why have central air? Heck, why have heat, indoor plumbing, lights..... Because that's what people want, modern conveniences.  

Well said!!

Profile picture for falzonia
Why is Central Air so important?

Because without it people like me would be homicidal.

(Orlando, August)

Profile picture for mina36
LOL!! Best response so far, falzonia.

Profile picture for Winifred

Silverfig,

I thought you sold?

It gets pretty hot and humid in PA.  I can remember many sleepless nights as a kid in PA during the summer months as my grandparents farm did not have AC and it was stifling.  I would want AC in PA.

CT on the shore I think you could be fine.  RI has the best summers.  Warm, low humidity and cool at night.  Perfect.  :)

Profile picture for scecy

I think it really depends on the house.  If the house gets too hot, people will want to cool it.  Central A/C means you can walk around the whole house comfortably, not just stay in one or two rooms.  What is too hot will depend on the person.  I don't mind when the room temp goes to 82, but would rather it not go higher than that.  My hubby would prefer it cooler.  In my last house, I couldn't cook in my kitchen during the summer because it got so hot (no A/C).  Now, in my current house which has A/C I can cook whatever I want, even using the oven.  If high ceiling, fans, etc. are enough to keep the house under 80, maybe central A/C is not so important.  Otherwise, yes, buyers will prefer it. 

Profile picture for silverfig

Haha a/c units are ghetto ? Well tell that to the college professors in their 900 k house across the street. 

And actually that's a rather rude thing to say.

The poor people I volunteer for in inner cities would love to own a decent window unit.

Instead they get by on meager fans or go to movie theater to chill.

No some older houses were built very well and its waste to add it in.

It goes without saying that FL (whish is a sub tropic climate) and a lot of the the Southwest need  central air...

Profile picture for KD in Texas

We croak in Texas without central air.  I keep mine set on 78 (78 in the new home is as comfortable as 72 in the old home).  If it's 75 outside, the windows are open.

Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

In Manhattan, there are multi million dollar pre-war apartments with window AC. 

Profile picture for silverfig

Well I just showed it to a couple who loved it ,, said they already own an old house and know its fine without it....Sadly the husband was 6'7...My bathroom ceiling is only 6'9.

Cripes.

They asked me how much it would cost to bump up the ceiling.

Damn. Now I have to post about whether  ceiling heights  impacts buyers....

Grrr