Profile picture for MDiaz1981

Why is it so hard to find a Realtor who will respond in a timely manner?

I'm looking to buy a house from out-of-state. I contacted a Realtor that was recommended by a family member and spoke with him briefly. He said he would have someone on his team contact me as soon as possible. Three days passed and I finally heard from her. I sent her an email with what she requested. Another three days passed before she tells me that she never received the email. Is this typical Realtor behavior? It's beyond frustrating. I'm pre-approved and looking to buy a house as soon as possible. Several homes that I was interested in viewing have now gone to "pending" status. How do I find a pro-active Realtor?
  • April 20 2014 - Fort Myers
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for lisake1
I would pay for Angie's List (recently bought it myself at $7 for one-year subscription thanks to promo codes) and look for 3-5 of their top-rated real estate agents or brokers in the area where you're looking. Email all of them, making note that you're contacting them after viewing their Angie's List profiles, and then see who gets back to you quickly and takes the time to listen to your needs and respond to your questions. Then select an agent based on the response times.

In your situation, since you only need representation as a buyer, it might be best to go with a newer agent in a larger brokerage, someone who's eager and enthusiastic but has the power of an experienced broker behind him/her.

Profile picture for UpNest
Hi there, so sorry to hear about your bad experience.  It's hard to find good agents period, but just as hit or miss if it's from a family recommendation.  Angie's list, Yelp, etc, can help you find a whole directory of agents, some which are very good, but again you're sifting through so many of them.  This is the exact problem we solve at UpNest.  We curate and help you find top Realtors who are also top listing agents in their neighborhoods.  Best of all, they will also rebate a portion of their commission, esp. if you've already identified properties you want to view or bid on.  Come to our site and learn more.

lisa, thank you for joining us.

Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that first-time buyers really do need a more experienced agent to help them. I don't have a "team," but if I had new agents, I would have them work on my experienced clients - the investors and move-up buyers that need a lot of legwork but maybe not as much guidance and advice.

Again, thank you for your contributions! We need more people like you!

I work in and around Ft Myers and would be happy to help you. I do my very best to respond to buyers and seller quickly.
Marge Bennett
RE/MAX Realty Group
 [contact information deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

I wish you were looking in my part of Florida,  we respond quickly at all price points

So sorry you got the run around. People are our business and you deserve a timely response. One option would be to ask your lender for referrals. You can also scope out a couple of different Realtors at the same time to get a feel for how they would work out for you.

I am sorry you have had such a bad experience. Not all real estate agents are as responsive as they should be. With today's technology there is so excuse for such behavior. Move on and find a new real estate agent that is more responsive. Homes here are selling quickly when priced right so a delayed response from your real estate agent could cost you the perfect home.

I hear this so often from people.. I honestly don't know why. Maybe it's an agent who is extremely busy hence the fact that is why he said someone from his team would be getting back to you. Who knows lol Good luck to you.

"He said he would have someone on his team contact me as soon as possible."

So he was to good to talk to you about what you wanted? Sounds like the team passed you off to one of the team that deals with a buyer like you. I would have expected the person you spoke with did not want to deal with you for some reason, I would move on to another agent and pass up on that team.