Profile picture for ehawkinsbgp

Why is my house listed so much lower than anyone else on my block??

My house is listed for significantly less than anyone else on the block. I dont understand why. I may want to sell my home but at this price according to zillow, that wont be possible.

November 21 2010 - Highland

I would not consider Zillow's estimate nearly as much as a local expert Realtor or better yet -- a good local appraiser. You may have to get several experts advice in order to make a solid determination of value. Inevitably, the market will determine the market value when a buyer and seller agree to terms...feel free to contact me for advice or recommendations to local experts.

Even Zillow does not stand by it's estimates - stating that there are problems - so find a reputable real estate professional and have them do a market analysis on your property or pay a certified appraiser for an appraisal on your home.

Contact a full time/experienced REALTOR who knows your neighborhood if you want to know what your home will sell for based on current market conditions in relation to the condition of your home. Most agents provide these free of charge in the process of earning your business. Also keep in mind the agent who says your home is worth more than another agent may not be the right agent either. Whatever the agent tells you make sure they back it up with market data of homes that have sold in your area as well as what homes you would be competing with when yours is on the market.  

I've averaged selling 50+/- homes a year since 2006 and have never had a home not sell because of a Zillow zestimate but then again I don't consider zestimates in my value opinion and don't know anyone who does. If buyers are using zestimates and the value is significantly less than the list price, I'm probably not hearing from them anyway. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck.

Check to see how many sq ft Zillow thinks you have.  Also double check the number of beds, baths and other facts to make sure the input is correct.  Remember, a zestimate is just a computer generated estimate.  Contact a local Realtor to give you a free suggested  list price.  The Realtor should prepare a CMA which will show you what houses in your neighborhood have sold for recently and what houses are for sale.  A comparison of recent solds and current actives is the only way to know what your house should list for.  Also a Realtor will be able to factor in subjective factors such as curb appeal and condition of the house as compared to the other houses.

I assume you are referring to your Zestimate.  That is not the value of your home, but rather a computer generated estimate.  It will have no effect on the salability of your home as no professional involved in real estate will use the Zestimate as a value tool.  To find out what your home will sell for in today's market contact a few local Realtors and get their opinions.  To find out what the value of your home is today contact an appraiser and pay for an appraisal.