Profile picture for lesistheriesen

Why is prop tax so high

19147 Loganberry St SW,Rochester, WA 98579. Why is prop tax $8000+? I'm in Phoenix and want to relocate soon. I wish to move in mid-Sept. I intend to pay cash. My sister, Wendy, will move with me for sure and Mary, other sister, is considering same. 2-3 bedrooms, very large lot, at least 1400 sf home, some repairs okay, up to $120,000...prefer less of course. If we see something GREAT we can go more $'s. If more, then I presume fewer necessary upgrades and fixes. I've seen LOTS of GREAT properties with AUCTION status. I frequent auction.com, have registered, don't like the fact that there are so few pictures of the interior of house. Can you help? Short sale is ok. My cell is 623-349-2314. I'm stuck and been on many, many websites, auction to zillow, and everything in between. Oh, don't want a ton of snow, rain ok. I'm at my wits end. Crime is a consideration too. That is it, in a (very large) nutshell.  Thanks, Leslie Riesenbeck     

• July 15 - Rochester
  • 0

Thanks for getting to the bottom of that.  I wonder if that would occur in other counties, or if it's unique to that county that the data would get input that way?  Like I said, I've never run into that before, but with most taxes being paid through the mortgage, that could be one explanation.
  • July 17

Profile picture for blue screen exile
By the way, the county tax page allows requesting payment info for other years, so for example, selecting 2012:
Property Tax Principal    $2310.53
Property Tax Interest    $392.78
Property Tax Penalty    $254.17
Conservation District Principal    $5.00
Conservation District Interest        $0.85
Conservation District Penalty        $0.55
Stormwater Principal    $60.00
Stormwater Interest    $10.20
Weed Control Principal    $3.53
Weed Control Interest    $0.60
TOTAL Due as of 07/17/2014     $3,038.21

Subtract out the interest and penalties as it was "paid on time", and it comes to $2379.06

So the "additional" tax shown on the tax summary page comes to: $5,830.54

This "looks" like an excise tax to me.  No clue why it would be recorded with the property taxes on the county website; but the logo in the upper right corner of the page indicates "Thurston County Treasurer", thus the treasurer may have reason to combine the numbers.  ...

NOPE; Kary was right the first time... "back taxes"  There is a "receipt number", and if one clicks on that, there is a breakdown of how the money was applied.  2012 Tax payment paid 2009 and 2010 taxes plus interest and penalties.  2013 Tax payment paid 2011, 2012, and 2013 taxes, plus interest and penalties on the 2011 and 2012 taxes.
  • July 17

Recording taxes (excise tax) would be entirely different.  Not even the same agency, if I recall correctly.  Also, there is no excise tax if the bank buys at the foreclosure, which if I recall correctly is what happened.

Very odd situation.  I've never seen anything like it and I've looked at hundreds if not thousands of property reports.
  • July 17

Profile picture for blue screen exile
My "guess" is that it is "recording fees" for the transfer... but as stated, you don't know if you don't contact the county.  Regardless, that is "not" the "normal property tax rate", nor the rate one would be paying on an on-going basis if one purchased the property.  Yes, there are always recording fees when one transfers ownership, such as when buying.  Typically when buying, the recording fee is spit between buyer and seller.  Some jurisdictions have a "transfer tax" or "sales tax" as well; I don't know that area well enough to know.

I don't think it is "back taxes" as there is a column for both tax amount and amount paid as well as balance due.
  • July 17

Realist is showing a lower number for 2012 than what Pasadenan indicates the county website shows.  As I indicated before, under $2,500.  To me that would again indicate data input error.

BTW, I don't know any reason that a foreclosure would affect taxes in such a manner.  If I had to guess, the bank might have paid a lot of back taxes in 2013, and that somehow got transferred into the tax amount data.

If the OP is really interested in the answer, they probably need to call the county and talk to someone.
  • July 17

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Zillow provides a link to the county website:
http://www.zillow.com/CountyAssessorPage.htm?COUNTY_ID=53067&FORCE_GENERIC=false&LINK_LOCATION=detailedPropertyFacts&PARCEL_NUM=31410600404

But that page doesn't indicate the taxes; so one can go to the county website look-up page:
http://tcproperty.co.thurston.wa.us/propsql/front.asp

And then select "taxes".

Apparently the higher number for 2012 and 2013 was related to the 2011 foreclosure.  The number is back to a more reasonable number for 2014:
2010    $ 2,939.24
2011    $ 3,073.05
2012    $ 8,209.60
2013    $ 8,942.63
2014    $ 2,271.32

Breakdown:

CEMETERY DISTRICT #1     $9.36
CONSERVATION FUTURES  $7.63
COUNTY ROAD     $258.39
FIRE DISTRICT #01 $75.70
MEDIC ONE     $60.36
PORT OF OLYMPIA  $30.64
PUD #1     $1.58
ROCHESTER S.D.  $860.93
STATE OF WASHINGTON    $373.29
THURSTON COUNTY     $217.93
TIMBERLAND LIBRARY    $65.08
W THURSTON RFA     $234.82
CONSERVATION DISTRICT     $5.00
NOXIOUS WEED CONTROL     $3.57
STORMWATER         $67.04
  • July 16

Realist is showing that high of an amount for 2013, but amounts under $2,500 for both 2012 and 2014.  I suspect it's probably a data entry error somehow.  Either that or they have one heck of a school levy in 2013.  ;-)
  • July 16

Profile picture for daveskow
looks like taxes are  approx $2300 for 2014.....not sure where you see 8K ?  is this from zillow site ?
  • July 15

Market or sales comparison approach to value is determined,  or estimated, based on multiple sales of similar properties. Most residential property is valued using this method.

Cost approach to value is determined based on the cost of replacing an existing structure with a similar one that serves the same purpose.

This method is commonly used to value new construction.

Income approach to value is determined based on the income producing potential of the property. This method is used primarily to value business property.

State law requires that county assessors appraise all property at 100 percent of its true and fair market value in money, according to the highest and best use of the property. Fair market value or true value is the amount that a willing and unobligated buyer is willing to pay a willing and unobligated seller. The county assessor values real property using one or more of three professional appraisal methods.

Real property includes land, improvements to land, structures, and certain equipment affixed to structures. Personal property includes furnishings, machinery and equipment, fixtures, supplies, and tools. The primary characteristic of personal property is its mobility. Personal property tax applies to personal property used when conducting business or to other personal property not exempted by law. Most personal property owned by individuals is specifically exempt. However, if these items are used in a business, personal property tax applies.

$150,000  X .00941 ($9.41 per $1,000) $1,411.50 tax liability

expensive... I agree

• July 15