Profile picture for umptyboo boo

Why is zillow getting evil and greedy?

Time to say bu-bye to zilly little zillow!  No, i'm not paying them!  They want a cash cow?  Then, get the cash from others.  It was a nice site.  i've shared it with tons of people to check prices on houes everywhere.  And my house, write up and pics looked great on here.  But, they're cancelling me unless I pay them...and they're not sure how much I should pay!  $9.95 for 180-days or $1.67 a day, which is waay absurd.  Looks like greedy zillow is falling the way of other loser sites.  My property was on zillow for over 800-days.  I got ONE email from one loser asking an inane question, i.e. is it still available?  Duh!  See ya, zilly zillow!  Going....going....Gone! 

January 06 2010 - US

how come almost everyone here wants something for nothing?
- they want accurate property appraisals for free
- they want listings for free
- they want free ad space

... Some of you choose to go the FSBO route based on the assumption it will save you money. Ok, I can understand that. So now you need to pay a minimal, somewhat trivial amount and the masses want to revolt
...if you are an agent and have to pay less than $2 for a site then what is your complaint, work hard and get it sold by the second month before you spend a huge amount like $4

Zillow, is a company, with employees, equipment, and a building. None of which are free. They need to pay for those things. be glad they only charge you a small fee to list your home (and give you an inaccurate assumption of value (couldn't resist) lol))

900 days means it is a "make me move" that is incorrectly labeled.

Make-me-moves still won't charge, so down grade it to that, since you want it free on Zillow and are not in any hurry

900 days?     Oh my oh my.  I'd fire my realtor (including myself if FSBO) if it took 900 days on the market and still not sold.  

Good luck

Profile picture for rockinblu
"FSBO's can still get on our site for free thru Flat Fee services"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Talk about an oxymoron. lol 

umptybo...on the market for 900 days?? I could never keep my house in showing shape for that long. I would surely die from all the cleaning fumes alone. You are a committed seller indeed. I envy you. :)

@rockinblu

That is correct, that doesn't change what I stated, however. Users can still get on our site for free thru Flat Fee Brokerages that put them on the local MLS. If you are on the MLS you should be able to get on our site thru a feed.
Again, manual listings are only 2-3% of our total listings on the site.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Rachel,

Come on now. You know as well as I do that Zillow doesn't accept listings sent in from FSBOs via feeds, or has something just changed in the past few days.

Profile picture for umptyboo boo
No, we aren't silly to think it's free and should remain so.  Email sites have been serving us for free, forever.  I understand getting revenue nor do I deny Zillow the oportunity to make revenue.  Why not do as suggested and grandfather folks like me who've had their property on zillow for nearly 900 ddays? 

@umpty and Fredh:
You should take a look at this thread:
http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/Featured-Listings-Changes/306809/
It's not about the revenue. We are trying to clean up the site to better serve consumers such as yourselves. Our manual postings are only 2-3% of our sites total listings. Upon research we discovered that manual postings had the most incorrect information. So, we would love everyone to send us electronic feeds. You can by pass paying Zillow fees by sending us feeds.
Check out this link:
http://agentgenius.com/g-rants-insanity-more/real-estate/zillow-hack-how-to-get-around-the-new-9-95-per-listing-charge/
Happy Reading!

Profile picture for rockinblu
umptyboo boo boo hoo

Sorry, I couldn't resist. lol

Of course it is your choice how you would like to proceed, but I did want to clarify the costs.  The prices you are referring to went out in an email, and it had wrong information. 

In order to manually post a listing on the site, it costs a flat fee of $9.95 for 180 days.  There is no per day rate.  The email should have said $1.67 per month.  Sorry about the confusion. 

Good luck selling your property.

Profile picture for fredh2009
I am also out; I will not accept the "invitation" to purchase a Featured Listing.  I joined Zillow with the understanding that my basic listing would be free.  I put quite a bit of time into creating an attractive listing.  IMHO, Zillow should grandfather those who have invested time and effort on the understanding that their listings would remain free of charge...

Aren't we silly to think that sites and grow and improve without a source a revenue!  Aren't we silly to think the best things in life are free.