Profile picture for Connie Klemme

Why isn't there a Thumbs down button to go with the Thumbs up?

doesn't it seem reasonable that sometimes an answer needs a thumbs down? seems like a benefit to consumers to see that someone has X number of thumbs down responses.  or to be able to provide one.  It wouldn't be any more abused that thumbs up.  Seems like there should be both options to me.

• June 30 2011 - Oklahoma City

Best Answer

Positive reinforcement is a much more powerful tool than negative reinforcement.

Good to know that I got something out of my psychology B.A.  Could be the only thing.

Probably goes hand in hand with the good neighbor policy . Can you imagine? I would think that is the last thing we would want to see here. 

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I just went back in my E-mail archive and found this E-mail from Zillow on this topic:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Drew Meyers  wrote:

Hey there Pasadenan-

We're curious – how did you get over 3k unhelpful votes on one answer of yours? Was that your doing or someone else's?

http://www.zillow.com/forum/site/ViewThread.htm?tid=35533

And then my response Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:18 PM:
Drew -

It was not my doing; It was discussed on a couple threads, first on the buying category started by "Bellafonteine", a new user (actually a regular that keeps creating new profiles) that told "doomers" to shut up.  Apparently he first put 1024 "no" votes on AzRob.  Then did it for Rob Cunningham - a loan officer, but on the next thread, gave Rob Cunningham 1024 postive votes, and Ron responded that at least it was ballanced out.

Then on mixed bag, I had started a thread about the new feature showing our contributions, and others discussed the votes.  I participated in the discussion on votes, stating that it should be impossible to get more votes than page views, but  that it might be possible with a modified copy of a local page.  Ron did some checking/testing, and determined multiple votes without page views incrementing could be done with cookies off.  Rockinblu confirmed it with posting 6 or 9 votes to someone.

I had posted about Aldreth's contributions and others, and received 3 x 1024 negative votes for that post.  I also have received 1024 negative votes on another thread.  Since Rob had posted he received his 1024 votes in less than 39 minutes, that means it is a program loop of some kind as otherwise it would be at least 5 keystrokes per second.  I'm on a dialup, so I don't even have bandwidth for that kind of page reloading.

So Ron points out it must be an off the shelf program for affecting votes since most people would not choose 1024, but it is a convienient binary number for certain programs.

My "guess" is Long Island Real Estate" since doing searches for his company and name indicates he has been using the internet for increasing his exposure for several years and has experience with these kinds of manipulations, but it is only a guess.

In any case, if you don't allow voting for users with the cookies off (as you don't count their page views), this would not continue to occur.  At this time, there are only a handful of posts that have received this massive voting, but it could be much worse if it used more.

(By the way, this is not my primary E-mail address so it doesn't get checked regularly. I only got it because Loan officer Darren had been trying to send me something that was too big to go through normal E-mail accounts).

- Pasadenan

And then Drew's response 6/26/2008 7:08 PM:

Thanks pasadenan – I appreciate it. I won't go into specifics, but we have some stuff in the works that I think you'll like.

Don't hesitate to call or e-mail me directly if you ever have any problems or suggestions.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
"and that Joan's answers were right on."

Joan has a knack for having those type of answers and the ones that rise above the madness....

I however...get sucked into the temptation to just blurt out whatever comes to mind with no filter between the thoughts and the keyboard.   It's good to ahve the Joan's of the world with us!

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
no prob.  your answer over there on Dune's thread gave more clarity to the remarks here.  it makes sense. 

@Dunes.  He'd probably complain about transparency and the desire to get credit for all those thumbs down contributions.   we'd need a tracker...who submitted the thumbs down.  some sort of text that said  "JK thinks this post was not helpful"

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Sorry, I hadn't seen your thread on this when I answered on Dune's thread...

I see that Rockin covered it quite well, especially with the link, and that Joan's answers were right on.

Profile picture for Dunes....
I figured with Pasa having mentioned once or twice that NAR was attempting to Destroy Civilization as we know it and Realtors were nothing but Mindless Drones there might be an outside possibility several Realtors might say..."Oh a Thumbs Down...Cool!"

How many would JK with all the different persona's have given us all by now?..LOL

LOL!  Thanks Connie!

BA's are the best reinforcement of all!

Profile picture for Michael Helton
I like how Dunes got 2 thumbs up (within an hour) just for bringing up the possibility of giving pasa thumbs down, lol.

Profile picture for Dunes....
"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination."

Imagine a Real Estate Site..a Site full of Spammers and 25 Line Sign-Offs

A Site where if one were to say "The Bar should be raised for Realtors" they would be subjected to scorn, ridiculed as a Fool, part of a Conspiracy to Destroy the Profession..

Imagine you place a simple tool on the Table for those people to use..A simple Thumbs down to be used each time you speak..each time you post...all for Consumers to see..1-2-3-4 Thumbs down..

You have entered the Trulia Zone..........

Would you hand them that tool in the Zillow zone?

PS..You can't have my Thumbs up Back..
It's all about the Ego for me so .... no Thumbs Up No Motivation for Me

Profile picture for shasta_steve
I agree the thumbs down would be abused but so is the thumbs up.  If someone bashes a realtor or tells someone how stupid they are they are more likely to get a thumbs up than if they take the time to explain something to someone in a non-abusive way.  I know I used to do very well getting thumbs up when I went after Pasa.  Now I find it is just easier to ignore him for the most part.  I say take take the thumbs up away too. 

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
wow....
i should have searched better to see if there had been a discussion already.  I thought that there must have been...did a weak attempt to look and went for the question.

thanks for the feedback.  I was naively thinking that if people had a thumbs down maybe it would replace the sometimes abusive banter 

thanks everyone

How about a 'Thumb in the eye' button for serial spammers, mooches, leaches, know it alls, persistent pain in the butts.....

....wait, that might describe everyone on here (except for Connie)

Nevermind.

Profile picture for rockinblu
I'm probably wrong, but from memory I believe azrob was one of the top TD receivers.

Connie, imagine that feature and someone like me. I show people how to look at the rent or buy equation simply and without saying either is best. After just seeing 15 realtors say "buy now" and I post think about it logically and see if it makes economic sense how thumbs down would I get?

That is the problem. Almost no agent would give a thumbs up to someone who says do NOT buy now. How many agents would give a thumbs down for saying wait to buy and make that agent do without their commission they need?

As a concept thumbs down is a good one. As a reality to many would abuse the privilege.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Here's a discussion thread on it>>>> http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/No-more-thumbs-down/36939/

At one time I probably had a minimum of three thumbs down stalkers. While it didn't bother me at first, after a while it started to get on my nerves to see 6 TDs after every post. Particularly when it was one of my infrequent creditable posts.

Profile picture for shasta_steve
Not just realtors Dunes!!!!

Profile picture for rockinblu
There once was....and yes, it was abused. The thought was that there were already enough negatives. Another one with the ongoing abuse of such wasn't really needed.

Profile picture for Dunes....
So how many Thumbs down from Realtors do you think Pasa would have?

Maybe it wouldn't be more abused... but its more abusive, in my opinion.

I think its better to just stick to flagging for answers that are inappropriate in any way.