Profile picture for gmy4kids09

Why not even one inquiry?

My home has been on Zillow for 30 days now with 351 views. Why is there not even a question about the house? I'm concerned that maybe the listing 's email/phone isn't working. 
  • October 22 2013 - US
  • 1

Best Answer

You asked - I'll tell.  I'm sorry to be blunt but you need some help with this. You know what the home looks like. No one else does.

It's either a great family home located close to hunting or it's a hunting camp.  Focus on one not both. The majority of buyers searching the internet are women.  They are looking for a family home.  I got to the dead deer and wondered what the heck you were trying to sell.

6 pictures.  One picture of the kitchen and it needs serious attention.  A picture of a dead deer in a pick up truck.  A pond covered in snow.  A Christmas tree. (how old is that photo?)  A long shot of the house with all kinds of stuff outside.

Is there a bathroom?  Bedrooms?  Dining room? Deck?  Family room? Fireplace? Where are the features that would make a buyer want to see this home in person?

If the pictures are not complimentary they do you more harm then good.  Don't tell someone it's a beautiful home - show them.

Buyers review pictures not words.  One picture is worth a thousand words.  351 views and no one contacted you.  It's not the email or the phone.

Stage the house and get a pro to take your pictures. Research comps to be sure you have not overpriced the house.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Nice thread/discussion...good input and great Best Answer selection
Kudos to all this was a pleasure to read/see

gmy4kidsop...Best of luck with your sale & thank you for interacting and considering the input

In PA the world stops turning on the first day of deer season.  The hunting thing has to go.  Anyone looking in that area who is interested in hunting already knows the benefits.

Read what Wetdawgs said.  The pictures are THE most critical issue. He took the time to look at your listing the way I did.

Cruise Zillow and pull up listings agents have done. Check out 20 of them. (Not other for sale by owner)  Look at how the agent presents the home.  Get some ideas about writing a description. Don't copy what they say but get some inspiration.

Kitchen:   get rid of the clutter: pet bowls - gone; front of the fridge - nothing; stuff on top of the cabinets - gone, including the Christmas light greenery; kitchen counters - empty or perhaps one asthetically pleasing object (bowl of fruit?) ; back of chair - not in photo.

The question people have in the back of their mind when flipping through photos:  "would I be interested in living there?"  Right now I see a cluttered kitchen, a dead dear, drab winter woods, a cold pond - I'm not sure that's the impression you want someone to have. 

Put photos in the order someone may walk through:
Front of house
Entry
Kitchen
Family room/living room
A bathroom or two (keep the toilet lid down)
Bedrooms.

Take photos of the rooms of the house, not your stuff. 

While your photos are considerably less cluttered than my home at the moment, my home is not currently for sale.    The dead deer is a serious mistake.   If you wish to describe hunting in the area, do it in the text.

Get rid of the "owner anxious" statement in the text.

Profile picture for gmy4kids09
What ideas would you have to spruce up the kitchen, etc..?? And I will add more pics. I did the whole hunting thing because it's in an area where hunting is a major thing...school is even closed for opening season, but it's not really a "hunting camp" it would be good for a family that likes to hunt or a group looking to invest. I don't know...speaking with a Realtor by Nov 1. Thank you for your honesty and input.

What does your house look like when you drive by? Lots of Buyers will drive by a property before they take their valuable time to make an appointment to see inside. Use some elbow grease and fluff up your flower beds with fresh pine straw....plant some fresh annuals to give a pop of color to your entry.....edge all the grass.....pull out the weeds.
Your front door is the "Hand Shake" to the home....would you want to shake it? IF not, paint it and put new hardware on...it will look great when Buyers drive by.
Also you can add a punch of color on the interior....a gal of paint goes a long ways and it is cheap and an accent color looks great in the pictures.

Good luck,
Sally Wildasinn, Realtor
ABR, SRS, e-Pro

Fickling & Company
[hotlink removed by Zillow Moderator]

Profile picture for Gabilan Properties
Three important questions for you. 1) Are you offering a buyer agent commission? 2) How close to comparable sales prices are you listed.
3) Does you house shine and show it's best?

I would make sure and see that your contact information is correct and working on the site.
There are several other reasons that this may be happening as well. 
We are coming into the holiday season, which is known to be a slower market for buying and selling. There is a decrease in people actively looking to buy. Possibly the people who have viewed your listing will be in the market in the months ahead, and are trying to get an idea of what is on the market currently in their price range.
I would be happy to talk with you about other reasons to your question.
Please feel free to contact me!

IT could be the pictures, IT could be overpriced, IT could be the phone/email/ IT could be the description. Try doing an open house. If I were your agent and we hadn't had a single showing on the house in two weeks and others in the area were selling then I would reduce the price after I had checked all of those other things I mentioned.

Profile picture for gmy4kids09
Yes I am trying to sell it on my own.

Profile picture for joshmay
It could be a number of things - are you trying to sell on your own?