Why should I use a REALTOR?

How do other agents answer this question??

February 10 2011 - Mobile

I'm not sure you can answer that question. You can use that talking points provided by the NAR about additional training, ethics requirements, higher standard of continuing education, but I'm not sure as a client those things would sway me.

When people talk about doctors and Realtors, I see that as a bit silly, but when you get down to it they are both fee for service. The letters MD after a doctors name is no guarantee of a good doctor and the word Realtor ® is no guarantee of a good agent. Interview, trust your gut and choose a hard working, honest agent before a brand name.

The individual professional you hire is what is most important.

February 10 2011
Profile picture for dacolan
Dean,

Please take the time to read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy regarding spam and self-promotion. You can't include self-promotional links or contact information in your posts. Consumers can click on your profile if/when they are interested in contacting you.

That said, full-time, part time, a Realtor or not, it makes no difference in my experience. A good RE agent is a good agent regardless of NAR affiliation, designations, etc.

February 10 2011
Use a Realtor, because they are professionally knowledgeable in real estate.  Use a Realtor who actually sells property.  You would not use a part time brain surgeon.  Like any service oriented business, a Realtor provides a service that can be very smooth and positive, or it can be a nightmare.  That is why I encourage friends and family to ask their friends and interview three before choosing.

Dean Bright
www.DeanBrightRealEstate.com
ReMax Asoc. Athens
Athens, GA

February 10 2011
Mostly because NAR has locked up the market so non-realtors have a harder time getting access to the mls.

A realtor has taken an oath. It is very important. If they had not taken that oath they could not get access to the mls. I know what they thought repeating the oath.

Saying this oath is stupid. But it is something I must do to get the job. Boy am I glad it means nothing in reality and I can still be a scumbag agent if I really want to be one.

Saying you should buy from a realtor is like saying you should only do business with a mason, a lodge member, a grange member, or any other club you happen to like. It means nothing. Only the person makes themselves worth something.

February 10 2011
If you are an agent in Minneapolis MN and you have access to the local MLS and are a member of the local association, you are automatically part of the national organization and therefore a 'Realtor'.

My guess is the vast majority of local agents are 'Realtors' - whether or not they exploit that negligible distinction.

February 10 2011

Not to speak for Dacolan (well, ok I guess I'm speaking for him) but I believe he is referring to the implication that one should use a REALTOR (can't figure out how to do the trademark thingy on my laptop for any NAR police that may be out there) as opposed to just an AGENT.

I agree that being a REALTOR means nothing more than having to pay dues to a giant lobby organization.

Regarding why one should use an agent, well I would think that is obvious.....  so we can get a paycheck!

Just kidding.  Kind of.

February 10 2011
Explain more.....

February 10 2011
Profile picture for dacolan
A good RE agent can provide a valuable service, but being a dues paying member of the NAR is meaningless.

February 10 2011