Why use a real estate agent to purchase a home?

• January 26 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for hpvanc
A "buyers" agent does add some convenience to the process.  Many times the listing agreement was made per the standard MLS contract granting the the listing agent both sides of the commission if a contractual Selling Agent a.k.a "buyers" agent has not been engaged by he buyer.  Unfortunately the fraudulent representation of a commission compensated sales person misrepresenting themselves as a "buyers" representative is sanctioned (or almost required) by the licensing authorities in most states. 

If you prefer not to engage a selling agent it should be your right to do so, you will need to make an effort to negotiate the buy side commission in the deal.  Unfortunately at this time the listing agent is under no obligation to negotiate the buy side commission with a direct buyer, hopefully the DOJ Anti-Trust division has this method of price fixing on their radar and will act eventually.

Profile picture for Amy Gutschow
Every State has different rules but here in WI the Seller does pay for all the agent fee's usually so the buyer can use a agent for help and it does not cost them anything.  I know my Clients are happy to have my help because it goes far beyond the purchase of their home.  I help them learn about the community, set up school tours and get them any information I can to make the move as easy as possible.  Long after the sale is complete I am just a phone call away.  There is a great amount of stress involved in purchasing a home and I love my job and it shows!  My clients are helped through the whole process. Having someone who knows the steps that need to be taken and guiding you easily through every step is the best way to go in any nsituation.

I think you can buy a house by yourself by I strongly suggest that you look for a Realtor who can work with you in finding your dream home. Having a Realtor will not only save you a lot of time but they will also give some good insight that you can use in deciding if that's the right home for you.
    When you're buying a new home, a good real estate agent can provide invaluable help and assistance - through their knowledge of the local real estate market, checking listings, driving you around, showing you houses, as well as providing advice, filling out offer sheets, and helping negotiate the deal. In addition, in most circumstances, when you're buying, an agent doesn't cost you anything, since all the real estate commissions (both the selling and buying agents) are paid by the sellers. 

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Yes, I'm quite sure a typical Realtor® and member of NAR does need a "car dealer" to purchase an automobile.  Those contracts are way too complicated for their personal experience, training and knowledge, not to mention their licensing.  And if they didn't select a dealer to help them???  Who would tell them that they "should" have their own mechanic evaluate the car before they purchase it?

I opened the thread because I thought someone might actually provide some insight into possible "real benefits" offered by their profession... but instead, all I read is the typical NAR propaganda talking points that are usually thrown around.

I'm pretty sure those "agents" need to hire a chauffeur too, as they likely can't drive down the street safely without one.

Why did they forget to tell you that you can't get in a typical for sale house without a GE Supra lock box access device?

Why did they forget to tell you that you can't get access to up to date MLS listing postings without being a member of that local MLS?  Why did they forget to tell you that there is a lot of data columns in the local MLS that don't show up in the "public" version of the listings?

Why did they forget to tell you that if they are your agent, they will do 3,000 CMA's for you for "free", each with a minimum of 10 recently sold comparables, and 10 present listing comparables, each with detailed line item adjustments?

Why did they forget to tell you that they are not licensed as lawyers, so they are not qualified to give any "advice" on any "contracts", and that their errors and omissions insurance does not cover such actions on their part?

Profile picture for psihiart
To Karen : Because some people don't need advice, handholding and calendar for Christmas for 10 000 if you buy 400 k home.I'd rather pay fee for making offers and showing and get rebate I can use toward closing.

Interesting to imagine why anyone who NOT use a Real Estate Professional to assist in the Buying process.  A Buyer needs representation and guidance thru the contract process. Risks are numerous to go through the process alone !

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
Real Estate agents can show you the ins-and-outs of the process, ensure that buyers are not paying over market on what the home is worth, tell the buyers if the terms of the loan sound within par, ensure the transaction goes to closing, ... and an hundred more reasons.

It comes down to value from the service, if you can buy a home on your own, you will not need this service, if you want to protect your investment, and do not know exactly what you should subscribe to the services.    

Hilarious, but - true. 

Profile picture for psihiart
It's  hilarious when agents say the service is  free for buyer .Buyer is the one who pays for everything.Follow the money.

Profile picture for ScottBROKER209
As an agent who has helped clients buy and sell over 650 homes...I can tell you that there is something to be said about experience.  Most buyers may purchase 2-4 homes in a life time, therefore the experience a Realtor can bring to the table is invaluable! 

You may be fortunate enough to have a smooth transaction, although I can tell you that most sales have issues and you would hate to hear I told you so following a few of the simply obvious situations:

You paid to much for the property! Or,  No one told me about the tax assessments! Why didn't You hire a home inspector? My lender won't call me back...I can't get the seller to supply me with the disclosures...I paid the closing costs...and they could have been negotiated! The seller is demanding that I increase my deposit...Why did the seller not respond to my requests for repairs?  Shall I go on? I think you see there is more to this than just writing an offer.

The point is, as realtors we deal with the common situations daily and this makes us experts in our field.  Because sellers have already agreed to pay a set fee (and the Listing office has agreed thru MLS to share the commission) then the buyer has no 'Agent' fees and simply has enrolled the help of a professional advisor to do all the negotiating and follow-up in order to get you the results you desire.

Do yourself a BIG favor and interview a few agents before you commit to one strong agent.  Your agent will act in your best interest, so be sure to look for the qualities that represent you the best.

Scott Cary-Broker 

You do not need a real estate agent to purchase a home, if you know what the process is all about.  If this is your first home and you are not sure what to expect then I suggest you seek the assistance of an expert.

Buying a house is often the biggest financial trasaction in your life.  Why not use the experience and advice of a real estate agent.  We have access to a variety of informational resources, we can guide you through the buying process and make sure everything flows together smoothly.

Best of Luck,
Maria Cipollone

Profile picture for VIPAgent

When you buy a property there is no out of pocket for the buyer only the seller, so it would be FREE for you to have a professional help you.  Usually, you work with agent with a lot of market experience so they will be hable to help you find the great house and negotiate a great price for you on your behalf.  Buyers agent only get paid when they find you a perfect property so buyers agents are motivated to help you find the perfect home.  Hope that helps!

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
This is an easy question to answer. There are many reasons to use an agent to buy a home. We know the area and you might not, so we save you loads of time showing you places you might never even know where there. I have been told dozens of times, "WOW, I never knew this was back here" or things like that. We can answer questions about the area, schools, hospitals, shopping, etc. We can show you homes online, decide which to see on your schedule and haul you over in our car with our gas. We can set up a closing, get inspectors, hook you up with the best lenders and lawyers and ...... here is the best part ......  It's All Free To You !!!!!!

Plus we send you a Christmas card each year after.