Profile picture for dinahadkins

Why would I want to receive your email when your estimates are so far off?

Yes, I have unsubscribed because your service is so lame and your estimates are so far off reality. They're not based on comparables or any real information about the real estate. You even had me in the wrong school districts in the wrong county!~!!!!!!! Isn't that so?
  • March 04 2010 - Eastmoreland
  • 0

Hope you have a better day!

Hi dinahadkins,
We're of course sorry to lose you from the Zillow community.
Zestimates aren't the end-all be-all in terms of valuations. They're pretty accurate overall, considering that our computer algorithms have never been inside any of the 70 million homes that we value 3x per week. But obviously there are always going to be issues with a computer valuation.
Regarding the school district... I'm not sure why it's so incorrect. We get our schools data from a company called education.com, and I know that we sometimes see issues with their data. But I apologize for such a large error.

I can give you a strong reason to keep up with Zillow... As an agent, I need to be prepared to engage customers about what they read here. If it's wrong, I need to explain why. If it's accurate, I need to evaluate what they are saying using my local experience. As a home owner who might wind up selling your home, you might want to be able to explain your way around what Zillow is saying. I'm not giving them my blessing, but they are an animal to be dealt with and a tool that you need to at least have in your toolbox.

Personally, I find a tremendous amount of info about local housing markets in different areas in the zestimate value range and charts & trends. 

A huge value range either means zillow is not getting enough data from their source to 'trust' the zestimate, or it means the data they are getting is inconsistent.  Which means apparently comparable houses are selling a vastly different prices. 

Charts & Trends, which are derived from current sales, show which way the local market is trending.  If you are considering selling, check that.  If I did not have to, I would not list my house if I saw a established downward trend.      

Jason & Nancy, Thank you for your comments. Spot on.

Zillow represents a +or- 8% innaccuracy in the Portland/Metro area of Oregon so I always factor that in when looking at any Zestimate.  Of course some are way more or less than 8% but it is good to know that Zillow admits this margin of error.