Why would an agent show up to a listing appointment without looking up the comps first?

I am competing for a listing with another agent.   The other agent showed up to the listing appointment without running the market analysis.  The house was just sold 7 months ago so the listing was still on the MLS.   The information is also available via the tax records.  I have always gone into a listing appointment with the comps in order. I set the final price range when I see the home.  The other agent told the prospective seller that they were to busy to do the comps and they will come tomorrow.  To me that seems somewhat unprofessional.  It would make me wonder if they have time to sell my property.  Just my thoughts....  I welcome yours...

July 13 2010 - US

The way you state things makes the other agent sounds cavalier at best. But, that is only one side of the story. If you really know your local market a two step sort of technique can be very effective as mentioned by Denise Sebesta below.

Obviously your salesmanship techniques and thoroughness worked and you should be happy with that, congratulations.

As they say....
If you fail to prepare
You prepare to fail

Having comps is just ONE part of the listing presentation. One should also include current market trends for that type of home and in the immediate area. Additionally, one should be prepared to discuss a marketing plan.

Agents may only get one chance to make a presenation and to make a good first impression.

So yes... that agent who came unprepared is: lazy, inexperienced, uninspired, unconcerned, disrespectful (of the seller's time) and unprofessional.

Thats crazy....either a new agent, lazy agent or an agent that does so much business they think they can get a free ride on their name alone without performing.  That is very unimpressive.

I always pull the home information before my initial visit. i also like to pull up comps and bring them with me to show them what other houses have sold for or are selling for that are similar. Sometimes you dont get a second chance, so the first one needs to be your best possible presentation .

I agree with you and operate the same way you do:  Compile the relevant information on recent sales and current listings to review with the home owner, then follow up with them later that day or the next day with adjustments based on any meaningful differences between their home and the comps.  While the Realtor needs to see the actual physical condition of the property before making final pricing recommendations, most sellers expect us to be well aware of what is on the market and what has recently sold when we arrive at their door.

I work with a 2 visit process. My fist visit is to meet the homeowner, measure the rooms, check out the property.  I go back to my office to work up the comps and then come up with a price based on what I hav seen and found.  I want to give my  pospective clients the best possible price, not a guess without even seeing the property.

I work a two visit presentation.  My first visit is to get to know the home owner, measure the rooms, check out the property then go back to my office to get the comps...if you don't see it, how can you give it a price?  I want to give my client an honest, accurate price, not a guess.

In my world, that is a case of  ID-10 T agent. Please spell email me when you figure it out.LOL

I have the listing!

I actually had a seller tell me that they did not like the fact that I went into the listing appointment with a price in mind.  She said that my competition  came in, took a lot of notes about their improvements and told them they would go back to the office and crunch the numbers and come back in a day or so.  They liked that and actually picked that agent!  I found out that it was because they did not like that I knew the price before I even stepped inside.    I told the seller why and how I can do this.. that their home is just like the comps that I brought and that their new tile floor is NOT going to get them $20k more than what their neighbors home sold for.   I know the market cold and don't need a couple of days to let is swirl around!  I would think that they would want an expert!

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr

...because they're new and haven't been well trained?
...because they're morons and simply haven't self-eliminated yet?
...because they've gotten away with this approach up-to-now?
...because they sell real estate as a hobby, and don't need money?
...because consumers let them?

More important, what message does this send to the consumer? One of the common complaints on this board from agents is how they are perceived. Yet, in turn, agents have serious heartache with the behavior and professionalism of other agents. It seems like the answer to the first question is in the mirror. Maybe not individually, but definitely as a whole.

Geez, I hope you got the listing!  If an agent is too busy to run comps they shouldn't be trying to get more listings.  Or, at least, they should have rescheduled the appointment until they were prepared.

new agent maybe? sheesh!?!?