Profile picture for myhomemd

Will a swamp cooler add value to my home?

I do not have  A/C or a swamp cooler.  and live in Colorado, Denver metro area.
  • June 27 2009 - Louisville
  • 0

Swamp coolers work well in Colorado except on the rare humid days.   It may add value, but the value certainly will be less than cost of installation.   I would evaluate your comfort and needs as the primary factor for justification of installation of a swamp cooler, not the added value for resale.

Profile picture for cskooger
Dude... I'm in CO with ya mane... I totally hear ya on the swelter.  I gotta place over by Wash park and it's an older house without AC ducts, so I went the Swamp Cooler route.  The Swamp cooler is a fraction of the cost of an AC central unit.  It operates on a helluva lot less electricity and uses minimal water...

They work great in Denver and the SW because it's typically driers hot air that cools better through an evaporative/swamp cooler.  Few draw backs: winterizations can take a little time but well worth it.  When it rains, or if it is humid (normally a rarety in CO) the swamp cooler will make it more humid, so just shut it off. 

I'm looking to add a few ceiling fans in the bedrooms and leave the swamp cooler on during the days.  We rarely have to run it at night... open windows are the ticket usually to cooler nights.

Home Depot down on I-25 and santa fe has one on display with all the working parts explained... shopw around though.

Profile picture for real estate mike
I recently heard that Colorado was experiencing warmer than normal summers, high 80's? If this is the case then I would assume a cooling mechanism would be a plus. The new digital window units could be your cheapest route but it will depend on the size of your house. Hopefully some of your locals will chime in here.