Profile picture for wehearttucson

Will an agent want to work with me?

Is a Real Estate Agent less likely to work with a buyer who's only looking at homes in the $45000 to $60000 price range. I realize agents work on commission. So how much effort will an agent put into helping me purchase a home in this price range?
  • March 06 2012 - Tucson
  • 0

Best Answer

Very good question, and will probably depend on agent.  I would suggest you ask each one to see if they work in that range.  Are you looking at Condos?  Townhome?  SFR?  Some agents specialize or have areas of expertise.  It is a good question and one I would use when you are interviewing possible agents to help you.  I have worked transactions in that range before on Condos in Central Tucson.  Are you pre-approved with a lender?  Some SFR homes in that price range are not available for financing, but that is something your agent can help you sort & filter through the available inventory.

Best of luck to you.

Spirit

Profile picture for Maureen Haney

That is not an issue any good agent would love to work you. You just need to find a good agent that will put you first. If you need help finding someone let me know.  Good luck with your search,

Maureen

Your budget is wonderful and any agent should feel lucky to work with you. This is most likely the biggest purchase you will make in your life. I wish you were in my area and I would go the extra mile to find you the home of your dreams. Do not feel bad in any way. You make them work for you. I value my clients no matter what their price range is. I treat them well. At the end it will result in referrals and makes it worth while. In my brokerage we have a department that can help you find and excellent Realtor in your area in Tuscan, well screened and qualified. Click on my profile and drop me an e-mail or give me a call and I will be happy to help you out.

Profile picture for gregmarkov
In such a scenario, I would encourage you to "think double" and look for a Win-Win:

1. I do wholeheartedly think that having your own, exclusive representation (buyer side) is a good idea. Rather than someone representing both sides, or worse, the seller side only.

2. The agent's hesitation is understandable (put yourself in their shoes) - their time is "worth less" when they are working with a low price range buyer vs. high price range buyer (because they work on commission).

3. Definitely take the time to qualify the agent, and ask them the question up front. Work with an agent who is enthusiastic to help you, rather than one who constantly puts you on the back burner. Good expectations (both ways) are critical to a good start!

4. In exchange, explain to them that you are a serious and COMMITTED Buyer, that you will not buy through somebody else, and that you are willing to sign a Buyer Broker Agreement with them. Not only is the agent not making much, they are also uncertain that you will be faithful to them, so the risk - reward ratio is totally skewed (see #2, add uncertainty of getting paid). If you commit to them, they know that they ultimately sell you something, and get paid. Trust me, this is worth a lot in real estate.

5. Offer to do some of the legwork yourself - perhaps you could drive the listings first, in advance of a proper showing, to decide if you are really interested in the listing, or if you want to skip it. The less time the agent is out, the more they are earning when they are working.

In summary - by thinking double, you can help increase the value of this transaction to the Buyer's Agent, and still retain all the valuable elements that a dedicated Buyer's Agent would bring to you - local knowledge, exclusive representation, negotiation skills, etc. Understand the Win-Win, look for (and extensively qualify) the right agent, and GOOD LUCK!

Profile picture for gregmarkov
Definitely take the time to qualify the agent, and ask them the question direct. It is better to work with an agent who is enthusiastic to help you, rather than one who dreads their task, and constantly puts you on the back burner. Good expectations (both ways - see below) are critical to a good start!

In exchange, explain to them that you are a serious and committed Buyer, that you will not buy through somebody else, and that you are willing to sign a Buyer Broker Agreement with them. Part of the problem you are addressing here, is that not only is the agent not making much, they are also uncertain that you will be faithful to them, so the risk - reward ratio is totally skewed. If you commit to them, they know they will ultimately sell you something, and get paid, which makes it easier to spend the time up front to show you homes, and write offers.

Profile picture for Lawrie Lawrence
It will pay to seek out the listing agent on that one to get possibly better service.

WeheartTucson-I can't give agent & contact information on here or run risk of violating Zillow's "good" neighbor policy.  If you want to send me an email directly I can provide some information or if you want to pick an agent from Zillow.com directory you have some questions to ask of them.  Best of luck.
Spirit

look for the property you interested in and contact the listing agent to get started

WeHeartTucson - All of Spirit's answers are spot on, as usual! I do work with buyers in your price range. Everyone deserves a helping hand!

I do have manufactured home experience in both Vail and Picture Rocks. I would like to caution you, however, I am not aware of any conventional lenders making loans on manufactured housing at this time. You might have to find an owner who is willing to do an owner carry-back. If you would like to discuss your options further, please contact me. Thanks and best of luck!

Jo Ann

Profile picture for wehearttucson
Thank you Spirit. If you could recommend an agent that could or would be willing to assisit my family to purchase a home in this price range, I would appreciate it greatly.

WeHeartTucson- I have worked Vail before, not Picture Rocks.  I do not have any manufactured home(s) experience either.  You may want to find a buyers agent with experience with manufactured homes.  That being said, I would be happy to help or at least point you in the right direction if you want to get in touch with me.  Shopping rates is a good idea, of the three you mentioned I work with and recommend Nova Home Loans, a great local lender.

Spirit

To me it's all about the service we create in working with buyers out there.The price point is not an issue as long as the loyalty is there. You will have a better chance of finding the right agent by looking at one who works in your city. You can find them above at the prosfessional tab. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good agent to assist you. It's our job no matter if you are buying a $60 home or a Million dollar home. We are there to assist the buying public.

As a Realtor that has worked as an exclusive Buyer Representative as well as with Buyers and Sellers, my goal is to help anyone that is in need of real estate assistance.  Most agents have a business plan, which may include their preferred price range and area in which they specialize.

In your preferred price range and area of search you are likely to be looking at homes that are in a distressed situation, maybe a short sale or a foreclosure, which includes HUD homes.

You have taken the right approach by getting pre-approved first.  When you interview agents make a list of questions that address what is important to you and select your agent accordingly.

Best of luck to you,
Wilda

Profile picture for B Mike West
I think it depends on the agent.  You should be up front with them so that they understand what you wish to buy.  Some agents may not want to spend their time for a small commission, others will have no problem doing so.

Every agent would love to work with buyers in the million dollar plus range but most of us are realistic.  As David Barr says, even if you represent a small commission you may be an excellent source of referrals.  Working with a greateful client can offset a small commission.  Many of the high rollers are difficult to deal with.

I doubt that it will take you very long to find a good agent who will do a great job for you.  The best of luck!

Profile picture for wehearttucson
Spirit, Yes, we are preapproved with Nova, Wells Fargo and BofA. Nova is our preffered lender. We have been looking at SFR. Mostly Manufactured homes on 1 acre in Vail and Picture Rocks area.

You have friends and relatives, right?  I look at any client as valuable if they provide good referral and word of mouth advertising, no matter what price range they are buying in.