Profile picture for bldn

Will my property tax go up if I add onto my townhome's patio?

Hi All,

I own a townhome in a condo community in north Atlanta.  The townhome has a patio, and I would like to renovate the patio by building an outdoor kitchen with an arbor, and some other improvements.

If I put, say $20k into this project, will my property tax go up?

Tricky thing is, the patio is legally Limited Common Element, which means it belongs to the entire community but is reserved for me exclusively.  Can my property tax go up for improvements on my Limited Common Element?

Thanks for your help!
  • April 15 2011 - Atlanta
  • 0

It might. Youll have to have it permitted, ask the permitting agency (city or county) for specifics. ALSO ask your taxing agency, the place you pay your property taxes to, they can tell you.

My guess is that if you are NOT adding and changing the livable square footage to your unit, your taxes will not go out.

The taxing authorities will be aware of the improvement through the permitting process but it will unlikely change the taxable value as it is not a heated living area. You may, however, want to clear the improvement with the HOA before you spend a lot of money on planning, bidding and material...they may have a different take on your idea and all living in the development may have a say.