Profile picture for wassup101

Will my property tax increase if I report the major home improvement on my house through zillow?

The estimate value is not accurate because I have not reported major improvements.
All 3 baths, kitchen and tile roof. 
  • April 07 2010 - Rolling Hills Estates
  • 0

Your property tax will not increase if you report the major home improvements through Zillow.  Since you have already done the work the formal way to notify is by contacting the appraisers office of LA county.  On another note the upgrades to the 3 bathrooms and kitchen will trigger an increase in property tax, however the tile roof may not. 

No.

In my area, every time some one pulls a building permit they have to put a "valuation price" on the permit.
Once the permit has been completed the city sends it over to the county for them to increase your property values.

But you do have some say in it.
When we built my parents house, they tried to increase the value by $1,200,000.
My dad went down and fought it, showed them the receipts that it only cost $640,000 to build it !

Not necessarily, each county or city has different rules as to when they do tax reevaluations.  In my area it's  every 7 years.  Most of the time the assesments are done by what I call drive bys, the person never even gets out of the car.  If the improvements are on the interior of the home they will never know. 
Major improvements usually only consist of adding liveable square footage, doesn't look like that is what you are doing in this case.

No, only if the county finds out.

Nope, I've never heard a case of that happening.

While the answer is "probably not", I've heard of a couple of people who've been called on discrepancies between things reported on Zillow and public records. 

Are you suggesting that you did major renovations without permits?   If so, your future buyers may have a major issue with this and notice the discrepancies and ask you to get the permits before they move forward.

Profile picture for pvhomes
No, it will not

Profile picture for nwhome.us
No.
But a lender may decide that there is a difference between the two records and not underwrite a loan until they match.