Profile picture for KeyW

Will new kitchen counters alone help sell my house faster?

I intend to sell within the next 3 months and am considering updating the kitchen.  If I clean, repaint and update the hardware on the stock cabinets, should I replace the laminate counters?  All are probably builder original, circa late 1980s.  The cabinets are laminated particle board boxes with solid face-frames and doors, now painted white.  The counter has a butcher-block laminate. 
I am considering new laminate counters in a granite pattern, but am wondering whether granite tile would be a better option.   Would either of these options help sell the house or would they just be a waste of money?
  • January 25 2011 - Virginia Beach

Profile picture for KeyW
I appreciate the quick responses and intelligent advice.  I think now the best thing to do is consult with local agents and check the comps before deciding which way to go.

Profile picture for caterichmond
Go look at other kitchens in your area and make your own decision.  If this is a condo, I would give one answer.  If this is a family home I might give another.  I do know that buyers look at kitchens and bathrooms because they are the most expensive to renovate.  People do not have time to do their own renovations and the new owner might be financially strapped which may cause them to purchase a house that is already done.  Granite tile could be a problem when it comes to cleaning the grout.  This is one time when I would ask a woman for help as to how she views your kitchen.  Women buy the houses when it is a family home.  Again, look at your local market and see what your competition might be doing.

KeyW,

Good Evening, GREAT QUESTION.

I firmly believe it all comes down to the location of your property and the market it is in. In short, here in Arizona, for example, many properties are so far under water and are being sold as either, short sales, lender or banked owned homes, that the upgrades are not going to "fetch" more because they are there. A big reason for this is, most of the homes being sold at such low prices are fairly new, 2005,6,7,8  and they have many awesome upgrades. I think you should have your agent view your home as it is now and suggest what to "fix-up" and what to leave as is. If your goal is to make the most money, then spending "x" on your home needs to bring you X+ or you're not obatining your goal.

I hope that helps

Have a BEAUTIFUL night.

-Shawn, REALTOR, AZ.

Buyers appreciate and comment on counter tops that stand out. Either make your current ones shine or replace them with new granite. Granite is a huge kitchen selling point these days!

I usually tell my clients that any/all improvements in the kitchen are a good investment. Find a realtor you trust and ask them for their advice regarding your kitchen because there are many different factors that affect value and ultimately the sale of a home. If you are planning kitchen updates but then price it unrealistically out of range because of what you updated, you probably won't be successful. If you are updating enough to "stage the kitchen" and keep it at the same price range, then I say... Hurray for you, Go for it!

The question to ask your Realtor because every neighborhood is different is whether or not your will recoup the spending of  $5,000 for example on any home improvement to your home just to try and sell it. Sometimes you might just be able to negotiate a credit of $2,500 and save yourself $2,500 not to mention all of the hassles associated with doing the work.

Updating the kitchen is always a good thing to do when selling your home. I would suggest a laminate (rather than a tile) counter top that will complement the cabinets and flooring in the kitchen. Stay with overall neutral color selections for your updates, find a cabinet pull with some personality and your kitchen should look inviting to potential buyers.

YES!    Some of the most common buyer complaints are dirty or dingy looking counters. They may even be spotlessly clean, but years of use makes them look worn out and/or dirty. I'd stay away from Tile and would strongly recommend a new laminate ctop.

If you have straight runs of counter or an "L" shape and are comfortable doing the work yourself, just go to Lowes or Home Depot... they have some great prices and some really nice postform Laminate tops in stock.

If you are going to pay someone to do the work or want to make things easier on yourself, I'd recommend you contact a small, local Kitchen & Bath place. They usually have access to similar products but can order them already cut to fit and with a sink cutout at just slightly more than you'd pay at the box store.

Good luck and happy selling!
Thomas