Profile picture for kunal2mishra

Will re-fencing Porch increase home value

Hello, I am in the process of remodeling my multi-family home in Jersey heights. 
Currently the porch (which is an area fr 4-5 chairs) has old and rusted iron fencing. I wanted to know if I redo the fencing with new Vinyl or Iron fencing, will it increase my hoe value and by how much. 
I understand that curb appeal and outside look matters but just want to be sure that its worth putting some money, it will not cost me a fortune may be just $1500-$2000 to change all the fencing on the porch and in the front of the house with a new gate.

July 07 2013 - The Heights

It will defiantly make the house show better but there is no guarantee on return of investment. 

The fact that this is a maintenance item and not a remodeling isn't the real question.  As to increased value, it will only really bring you back close to a move in condition for marketing.  That means, buyers won't immediately look at the house, while walking up to the porch, and start knocking off value dollars due to obvious repairs they will need to do.  This being a cosmetic, just like painting, will not get you extra return on your investment, it will shorten the time to get the house sold.  Shorter time to close means less carrying cost for you.

Total replacement of the fence falls into "maintenance" and will help maintain value but is not likely giving you a boost above what would be expected with a well maintained property.

Profile picture for kunal2mishra
What I meant is that I am planning to completely replace the existing fencing on the porch and around the front area of the house (including the gate) rather than just repairing the existing fencing.
So that said will that get me a hike in the home value.

Replacing old-and-rusted iron fencing sounds more like home maintenance than "re-modeling". Seriously doubt that it is going to "add" to the value, but it will likely make the house easier to market.

Up-to-date home maintenance will likely not add to the house's value. However, it can avoid hits to value, and unwanted questions, that accompany deferred/neglected maintenance.