Will removing a stand-up shower from my second bathroom decrease the value in my house?

I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house.  The main bathroom has a tub/shower combo.  We have a second small bathroom off the kitchen, powder room size, with a stand-up shower.  The shower is adjacent to the 3x3 closet in the master bedroom.  I'm considering removing the stand-up shower & making the master bedroom closet bigger, leaving just a toilet & sink in the second bathroom.
  • August 19 2013 - Los Angeles
  • 0

Well since it isn't a master bath, and I know that most people don't like having bathroom off the kitchen but it is already there.

I would then turn it into a 1/2 bath and use what space (that's left) in the  closet area. If you have storage problems in the kitchen then I would use it and make a small pantry for the kitchen. Then open up what's left for the closet...it may not be ideal for 'hang ups' but you may be able to do some built-ins with drawers or shelves for shoes.
You wouldn't have to move the existing closet wall, simply turn the addition space (to closet) opening the same as the closet doors but cut the hole and insert the new designed (what ever) closet addition as a slide in.

This is the best idea I see without seeing it. If you were total renovating the bedroom, kitchen and that 3/4 then things could be done different but this is what you inherited so...
-Joseph-

Homeowner here with some more details.... the 3/4 bath is tucked between the kitchen & master bedroom, and neither of those rooms can lose any space.  It is approx 4x5 w/out the shower (approx 4x8 with the shower), the back of the shower shares a wall with the closet.  We have never used the shower, and during inspection were told that it leaks.  So it will have to be torn out when we remodel, but is it worth it to replace it or double the size of the closet?

Thank you everyone for your insight.  I certainly appreciate it.

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Have a couple local agents come review your home and give you their opinions. 

In the bathroom contractors world the second bathroom with the shower, toilet, sink is considered a 3/4 bath not a full, it needs a tub, toilet, sink to be considered a full.
The reality world maybe different, but my trade says 3/4.

My opinion is you will be decreasing the value some but since this is the master bathroom don't guess it matters to much cause your getting some closet space.

If you had a 4 bedroom house then 2 baths looks a lot better than 1 1/2.

You never mentioned how big the master bedroom is, that could be a factor in deciding (would a full master bath be something looked for) .
Its tough to say without seeing the layout, I can't help but think there is a way to have everything you want or need without taking that out and maybe upgrading that to a full (tub) bathroom and still be able to gain closet space somewhere.
-Joseph-

In certain areas in LA that is common, I would do it if works for you. Generally, though, its easier to add a second closet to a bedroom as a small addition via an exterior wall then to mess with a bathroom, plumbing, etc.

You are also going from a 3/2.0 bed/bath house now to a 3/1.5 bath house technically. NOT a big deal but might be an issue for some bathroom lovers if you ever sell.

Maybe you can push out both the closet and bathroom all at once, making both bigger via an addition, and add a tub into that stand up shower...

Be creative and ask around - good luck

Profile picture for AmberEverpean
I don't think that it would, especially if it's not a fancy one.  I just read [Hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Profile picture for NovelRemodeling
Having more space is important and closet space is a big concern for homeowners in the Los Angeles area. However, making your bathroom smaller to increase closet space is not the idle way to get it done. I do believe it will reduce the value of your home. 

If you do need help creating more space or just building new closet space, we can help. 

Novel Remodeling
[removed by Zillow Moderator]

Full bathrooms (tub and shower combo/or separate shower and tub) are worth more then a partial bath would be.
 So you would be taking value away by making that second bathroom "less functional" then it is now.
Why not "remodel" the smaller bathroom so that it's upgraded? That would add value rather then remove it. Better yet, if you have room, add a tub/shower combo, so that  you actually have two full bathrooms, when you sell.