Profile picture for astrosmith

Will replacing your old roof with an aluminum roof add value to the home?

October 22 2010 - Portland

Corrugated sheet metal roofs for sheds, storage buildings, hangers, carports and porches is what I'm more familiar with too; but I have seen some nice copper roofs.

Aluminum is a bit tricky for painting.  Anodized aluminum has a fairly nice appearance.  But I prefer a polyester powder coat.

Sure, one can minimize heat loss by putting some good insulation on the under side of the roof.  Actually that could dampen the sound quite a bit too if done properly.

Even the sound on metal vent risers I find extremely annoying.

Great description! I had looked into a metal roof when I had a mudroom to get around doing a white icky torch down. It seemed like a cheaper long term option, but I was always curious about how it would sounds when it rained. Thanks for the info. 

Profile picture for BungalowMo
It does make a noise in the rain...but it's not "noisy" by any means.  The paint they use is not only fibrous, but also (for lack of a better term) kind of rubbery.  What I hear is kind of a muffled rain...actually very soothing when it's raining & I go to bed.  I have the roof to my office, mud room, & pantry (these run across the back of my house) right outside my bedroom window.  I actually like listening to it with my window cracked a little bit.

I have question Mo. Do you find the metal to be noisy? I have never lived in a house with a metal roof. My closest experience is a corrugated metal barn roof. The weight of that metal is so much lighter I would think that the house grade metal would be quieter in the rain or hail, but I don't really know.

Profile picture for BungalowMo
To the mention of the noise when it rains, that is a personal preference.  I happen to love it....it puts me right to sleep on a rainy night.

When you say it "transmits" the heat, I don't really understand that statement.  In the winter time, it actually warms up from any sunshine beating on it, so that cannot be a bad thing at all if you live in an actual "wintry" climate.

"No one likes the look of a sheet metal roof."  Well, metal roofs are never left in a blank sheet metal state.  They are primed & painted with a fibrous paint made especially for roofs in a wide variety of colors.

Sounds like someone is basing their answer on their own point of view and not by any real documented study or statistics.

For anyone considering getting or keeping their metal roof, it is ALL a matter of preference.  It is YOUR house and you can do with it whatever you please.

I will get mine scraped, sanded, primed and painted next year.  Just as the previous owners have done for 95 years.  THAT is how long my metal roof has lasted.  Costs about 3k & lasts about 10 years or so.  Much cheaper than a new asphalt roof that will only last about 15 to 18 years.

Wow!  Someone is resurrecting a really old thread!

Almost 1 year old!

Anyway, I wouldn't want a metal roof as it is just way too noisy for me when it is raining.  They also tend to transmit most of the heat.  So for me, it would devalue the property.

Some people like the look of copper roofs, but I know of no-one that likes the sheet metal look of steel or aluminum roofs.

Not in most cases. I've found "unique" features to a home often reduce value in a neighborhood. Now if you are talking about a home in a high forested area, metal roofs can be a major plus. Typical neighborhood? No, stick with what the rest of the area is doing.

Mo is on the right track there. My family member has a cell phone and a flat membrane roof. I get dropped when they walk from the kitchen to the laundry room all the time. It all depends on your cell phone area coverage and your elevation from the tower.

Profile picture for BungalowMo
I don't know whether or not it would add value, but I do have to mention that I totally disagree with those saying that it interferes with cell phones & electronics.  That's just nonsense!  I have a metal roof & my cell phone is my only phone.  It is also my wireless tether for my internet.  I never have any issues, so don't buy that story about interference. 

Metal roofs are great but I wouldn't treat it as a value addition..We liked listening to the rain on the metal roof on our last home but can see how some others might not like that.
Adding value, I wouldn't say so but if it were me, I would prefer a metal roof for maintenance issues, longevity and the sound of the rain! Again, maybe it would add "value" in the buyer's eyes...If I were selling the home, I would certainly mention that feature to my client in a "value added" way.
Then again, if you are replacing the roof to make it marketable, it might make sense to stay with the most economical choice which might also be the most favorable to buyers anyway.

I like the clay tile the best! Looks shard, doesn't block electronics and last longer than asphalt!

Profile picture for Netizen
First, I believe metal roofs are treated with ceramics or other materials to look indistinguishable from conventional roofs. If you go that route make sure the roof is non-corrosive. Also, you will likely need to invest in a cellular antenna on the roof that brings a strong signal into the dwelling.

However, why not use the money to get the new solar tiles with durable plastic coating that mimic the conventional roof of your choice? A beautiful tile roof that is really the latest technology in solar would make your sales listing pop down the road, I would think! It will also pay for itself and in some regions, if it takes you "off the grid" the utility companies will allow your meter to run in reverse (credited to your energy bill)! I personally cannot wait to work such a rooftop into my budget because I'm what friends call a "security junkie" (I like to ensure that I have complete coverage in necessary areas of my life, in this case, my central air would be humming away during a major power outage in the summer.)

Not worth it.  While they may have a longer life span, some property are actually devalued with a metal roof. 

Not in the southeast..stay with the asphalt shingles.

There are plenty of design innovations with ashpalt shingles. I would visit that first.

Some potential owners may not feel comfortable with non traditional materials, especially if it is in a traditional neighborhood. They may not understand what they are buying.

I once did a loan and the appraiser actually took value away because the aluminum roof was not attractive and became a negative factor for the sale.  I think there were no other comparables in the area with that type of roof and clearly the pictures of the house were cosmetically unappealing ..
Sincerely,
Celia

Will the aluminum roof fit in with the neighborhood?  The important thing is that your house doesn't stick out in a bad way when people drive through the neighborhood.  You'll want to conform to the neighborhood because if you're the nicest looking house, you don't get the benefit.  If however, most of your neighbors had it, then yes it would add value.

Be aware, metal roofs can cause terrible problems with cell phone and wireless services.  When visiting a relative and having to maintain our business, cell phone reception escalates to a crisis and so we have an old lawn chair set up 50 feet from the house with an umbrella.

A new roof may not add enough value to pay for the roof, but does make the home more attractive vs houses with old roofs.

Metal roofs are great for longevity and typically have a life of about 50 years (check with manufacture).  This is a nice feature when it comes to resale but it may be difficult to get that money back in resale value.  While potential buyers may find this appealing I don't think it will drive them to buy.  Another concern I would have is changing the overall appeareance of your home.  Metal roofs are typically used on commerical and agricultural buildings.  This look may turn some people away.  Also consider this if your home was with with a specific style in mind, you may be taking away from the original design.  There are a lot of great material and applications out there for roofing and possibly there is a metal style of roof that won't impair your curb appeal.