Will undercutting door jambs hurt home value?

The existing pine floors are not in good shape. I was going to lay laminate because it is cheap and I hate carpet. Will the undercutting of the door jambs ruin value? 

Are there any flooring options I have until I can afford to tongue-and-groove down the road?

September 27 2013 - Lower Lawrenceville

If you can save these floors and replacing a few boards tells me you can.
You shouldn't just throw the new boards into the mix and hope or the
best.
The answer is simple, you can experiment with a few boards and make sure that they match before you install them.
When picking out the new boards, look for ones that seem similar on the rack, just don't through 5 boards on the cart an go. Pine isn't that much money so pick you out about 10 and you will have a better choice on what works.
You might have to come up with a variety of stains or whatever to find the match, you can do anything you want...till you poly then you're stuck.

It may sound funny but I have even rubbed dirt on new boards just to make them match older ones. There are no rules here, and if you experiment with a few boards you will find the answer.

True pine is not friendly to stain so you might have to condition the wood first then stain, conditioning the wood is simply giving the wood something to induce so the darker color can't be absorbed so quickly.
You will find it on the shelf it's just called 'wood conditioner' .

I think that keeping the integrity of the house is more important, 5 boards isn't a lot even if they are a little different, you will be happier in the long run.
Laminate is the worst thing you can do...I hate fake anything, along with many of the 'maintainence free' products out there, they look cheap and
should never be used when an older home is the client.

Good luck and I know you care about the integrity of your home...good for you...that makes me happy to hear someone saving and perserving history.
...even if it's just the history that you only know.
-Joseph

Laminate may reduce your value, but undercutting of door jams done well should not reduce your value.

I see a lot of suggestions to refinish the pine. That would be ideal AMD it is what I am doing on another floor of the house. However these particular floors just don't need refinished. There are atleast 5 boards of different wood (I think it is fir) and a couple others that would need replaced. I was under the impression that introducing new wood with old would prohibit me from just hitting it with poly after sanding, rather than staining, which pine is not ideal for.

Ever think of refinishing the pine?     

First the answer is like many have posted No it doesn't matter of fact that is what you should do for a good finished appearance.
I also purchased an electrical tool that has many other functions but it's main purpose was just for that reason cutting jams down so the flooring can slide under them.
This also aids the owner to the fact that if they ever change the door (with a prehung) they can be sure the extra room is there to be covered just incase the new door sits a little different in the framing.
The extra 3/16 - isn't a bad idea either as posted by Majestic Inspections,
The extra room is good for expanding during the seasonal changes of your home.

Another good tip is please be sure you end the flooring change in the middle of the closed section of the jam.
Example: You shouldn't see the flooring of either room when on the opposite side, when the door is closed.
-Joseph-

I've done more tile installations in multi million dollar homes in MI than I care to remember, we cut Jams all the time to finish under them with Marble thresholds or finishing the tile as close to the walls as possible.
Never a worry ,but yes we cut 3/16" over finish and caulk or grout that joint.

A proper cut straight, square and the proper height is crucial and I own a Fein oscillating cut off tool, having the proper tooling means everything.

I'd personally refinish the pine any day over laying junk floating flooring only to tear it up later. 

Have you thought about refinishing the pine flooring?  I've done that before and people seem to love the way the colors pop in refinished pine. 

The undercutting of the jambs should not hurt your value at all as long as done correctly. neat and clean so to speak. This is a standard practice of most floor installers to get a proper finished look.

Laminate is most likely your best bet for affordable flooring, other than carpet.