Windows Treatment: Lace "Curtains"?

A rental currently has verticals, with lace "window treatments" (don't really consider them "curtains"). Due to the width of the windows, the verticals are pretty much a "go to solution".

But...

The lace curtains worked "back in the day", but it just seems cleaner-and-easier to lose the curtains (by-the-way, they're looking tired) when replacing the verticals. Otherwise, if I want to "keep" the curtains, they're going to need to be replaced, too.

Thoughts?
  • December 05 2013 - US
  • 1

Lose the curtains for sure. Even though it is a rental, you might consider actually adding 1" curtain rods above key windows with no rings included.

Renters appreciate them, they tend to make fewer holes for additional light control and they are not very expensive. You can include them in your walkthrough so they aren't taken when the move out. Basic window coverings are always a good way to keep the outside looking good/uniform and to attract good renters who want to make a home in your property.

Blinds are plenty - less is more sometimes.  Lace in this scenario would be outdated.

This was definitely a '60's house, built by a contractor for himself (or, much more likely, his wife). The choice of colors is a bad nightmare (or, alternatively, acid trip flashbacks).

Master bath, as already discussed, is flamingo pink tile on the bathroom counter. Tub, toilet, and sink are avocado green.

Common bath is an off-white tile, but a light blue sink and tub. Toilet is same brand/design as the master bath, but white. I can only assume that the builder's wife did not feel the extra cost for a matching blue toilet was warranted for the "common" bath.

The kitchen? Kind of a speckled sort'a tan tile with mocha brown edges.

There's just no other explanation for it than, at some point it time, someone thought this looked good. The only justification I can come up with for this decision is drugs, alcohol, mental defect, or some combination thereof.

For now, it's a rental, so the oh-so-'60s décor will stand. If, somewhere down the road, we ever decide to sell, we'll likely change it all out just to stop potential buyers from running out the door, screaming "my eyes! my eyes!". At that time, we'll likely put in some type of coordinated man-made material (e.g. silestone, corian, etc.). The rest of the house, though dated, is actually decent. Red oak floors, etc.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"Avocado green ANYTHING is horrible" -
The "green" color of choice is now "dill", and there is really not that much difference.

And a number of different pinks have gained quite a bit of popularity in the past decade too.

People pay extra for designer colors.  Sure, it is easy sell the tub and toilet separately, but it is almost impossible to take the tile up without damaging the tile.

One should be able to collect extra for those colors, if they select the right party.  How about putting in pink fixtures to coordinate?   Especially the more efficient ones?

Avocado green plus pink?   May I suggest you advertise as "retro"?    Or, as one agent recently said to me when we were chatting about a neighbor's 1957 house  "time capsule".

Once upon a time I was standing on the sidewalk admiring some lace curtains in glass side panels to the front door of a 1905, when suddenly a human burst through the window and ran away.   Then the alarms went off and the sirens came screaming to a halt in front of the house.   As a witness, the police were a bit puzzled that I'd been "admiring" the lace curtains.   With my "he went that way", they and their dog captured the scofflaw a couple of blocks away.    That's my story about lace curtains.... and I'm sticking with it.

Avocado green ANYTHING is horrible=== I lived in a home with dad/step mom and everyting was avocado green or harvest gold... I'm not a 60's-70's fan of decor just music

"I agree that lace curtains are good on historical homes. But, otherwise, ditch them."

This house is more "hysterical" than "historical". Built in the mid-to-late 60's, the master bath has flamingo-pink tile and an avocado-green tub and toilet.

The lace sheers are gonna go buh-bye.

I agree that lace curtains are good on historical homes. But, otherwise, ditch them.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I've done lace shears in several rooms of more than one house recently.  They look nice from both inside and out, provide a bit of privacy, provide some "finish", and make it not so obvious that the windows need to be washed.

Better still, they were really low cost and easy to install.  They cleaned up OK in the wash, but someone did too much grease cooking in the kitchen, and those really should have been soaked in BIZ before being re-hung.  BIZ (an enzyme cleaner) is amazing for such types of yellowing stains.  I saw a 60+ year old wedding dress once after it had been soaked in BIZ, and was completely amazed that it was the same dress.  And no damage to the fabric either.

But if I had thought about someone staining the shears with grease when purchased, I would have bought a redundant set and stored them for when the first set wore out.

No, for older historic homes, verticals do not work well, especially in the types of rooms I used the shears.
(And no, they are not called "curtains".  For one room, I also have black-out shades, but in addition am planning on adding heavy draperies.)

Rentals?  It not only needs to look reasonably good, it needs to be easy to maintain.  But at $6 per 36 x 48 window, they can always be replaced.

Verticals are so 1970's.  Yes, they were still used in the 1980's and 1990's, and some even in the 1950's, but I don't see them in 1920 homes and earlier.

Nor do they provide much thermal insulation benefit.  But then the shears don't provide much benefit for that either.