Profile picture for Jmarkus79

Wood Floors Vs. Tile in Kitchen

Hey everyone,

I currently have H/W floors throughout  my whole main level which includes my kitchen.  I am going to be doing a kitchen remodel and can't decide if I should leave the H/W or transition it to a Tile.  Any suggestions?   If I do the tile I will ensure the entryway, hall, halfbath and kitchen all have the same as they all have the OLDER H/W in those spaces anyways.  The living, dining and family room all have the newer H/W so it is slightly diff anyways.  Included are pics of the kitchen now and the tile that is in my bathroom is the one I would use all over.  Thanks!

• May 09 2011 - Woodbridge
  • 0

Connie
I answer old threads sometimes because people 'serf' and sometimes they locate something that they needed to know and forgot about.
It still helps someone somewhere and information that can be used by people.
I use old threads, to gain knowledge on products even... sometimes it makes me change my mind if I see other opinions and hear their stories.
-Joseph-

[Promotion and hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines.]

Profile picture for FORMA Design
I would keep the hardwood floor in the kitchen, so there is continuity in the materials which ultimately helps unify the space, espacially in an open plan.  I would, of course, take good care of the floors, but the bit of extra maintenance in the kitchen area would be well worth it!

They both can work, but personally I prefer hardwood.  This will help make your space look larger and works especially well with an open floor plan. It seems to be more in style as well.  It's easier of your feet, warmer and easier to clean. 

Below is a blog post I wrote on the pros and cons for both hardwood and tile.  They both have advantages and disadvantages.  I hope this is helpful.

[website deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Oh, and related to some concerns above about water damage, remember that hardwood can always be sanded and refinished vs. when tile is damaged, you need to replace the entire floor.

Profile picture for jacksoncharles1992
If it were me, I will leave the hardwood in kitchen and bedrooms. The rest of the area including hall, entryway, dining etc will be changed to tile floors. However, I don't say that you should leave hardwood floors. You can change your whole floors into tiles. Different types of tiles can be used for different areas. Here at my home, all the floors except bathroom and kitchen are made of hardwood. The kitchen also was made up of hardwood but two months before we have renovated it with tiles. The work was done by Ridgeway design centre in Mississauga, Ontario.  
  • May 05

Profile picture for Scottsdale AZ
Hardwood is all the rage in Scottsdale right now. We are seeing more and more hardwood in high-end luxury homes.
  • May 05

1. 1
  2. 2