Working for a Green Transition: Media, PA in the news!

Did you see the great front page article about Media in the April 2nd edition of the Inquirer?  It talks about how Media has been working towards becoming a Transition Town.  In August, Media did, in fact, become the first Transition Town, or TT, in PA.  What that means is that area and borough residents have committed themselves to meeting more needs locally, so they use fewer resources, such as oil (less driving means a cleaner environment for all of us).  TT disciples, the article says, are "relocalizing," meaning that, in addition to using less carboniferous sources of energy, the end result also means creating more local jobs, health care and commerce.  There are other examples of Media moving in the right direction, environmentally-speaking: Nine municipal buildings derive power from solar panels, and last year the town was cited by the Sustainable Development Fund for committing to buy at least 20% of its energy from clean and alternative sources by this year, and encouraging at least 7% of residents to do likewise.  Though the TT group is still small, it is making a tremendously important statement that others are paying attention to here and elsewhere.  Add this new TT designation to the fact that Media is one of only a few Fair Trade Towns in the US, and you'll see that Media is becoming more and more of what we know it to be, "everybody's home town."  What's your opinion, and what questions do you have?  (I'm so glad I'm on my way to being a Green Realtor!)
  • April 29 2010 - Media
  • 0

Great Post Dyan! I missed that article. I love to hear this kind of stuff! Media is such a great town! It makes me proud to work and do business there. :)