Working with a "Team" of realtors

Fellow Realtors, I am thinking of trying to join a team of realtors within the HomeSmart community of realtors. Does anyone have any insights, pros or cons for doing so?
  • November 30 2010 - Adams Morgan
  • 0

Hey Jennifer,

Working with a team can be very rewarding.  That is if you join the right team.  Be sure to take into account all that goes into a successful Real Estate group.  Estimate the number leads your team leader brings in and how they distribute them.  Also know how much they will charge as a "referral" for every lead they give you and weigh it out if to see if it is beneficial. I am the team leader of my group.  However, I am solely a listing agent, and my team are the buyers agents. We found that to be the best.  I give them buyer leads, they give me seller leads. It really all depends on how you want to work.   My only advice for you is really to make sure it is fair.  As the "new member" of the team, I have seen a "pyramid" scheme with some groups, the best leads go to the ones who have been there the longest. Which can be discouraging for new agents. 

What would be your relationship or position within this team of Realtors?

Profile picture for Bruce Slaton
Before i created a team I developed lead generating websited to generate buyers leads for them and grew based on need.  Now that I am a Broker/Owner, the same applies.  Before I brought in a commercial team, I developed a commercial lead generating website.  Thats the key to making a team stay together, supply them with leads.  Its a win win situation and benefits both parties.  Also choose someone who is well known in your REALTOR community, you'll benefit from his/her reputation and would on the reverse as well.

BUT be realistic, if you never bring anything to the party, you'll find others who are contributing get more leads and some people blame others for this besides looking inside as to what they have been doing.  Still prospect. bring your own leads to the group and pursue your designations like CRS to show you believe in your career, be an asset not a liability.

Best of Luck

Bruce

If you are a new agent-do it. I think you will lean a lot from the experience. No classes will teach you so much in the short period of time. If you are an experienced agent, think about it.