Profile picture for EZimme

Worst Apartment EVER!

So I'm supposed to be moving into an apartment on Saturday that is a total piece of garbage. A month ago I went to look at an apartment that looked really nice, but I wanted an apartment facing east and they said they had one of those opening up in June that I could hold it if I wanted to, but they couldn't show me the exact one because it wasn't available yet. BIG MISTAKE on my part.

So I put money to hold the apartment down and signed a lease. I got the keys yesterday for the place and went to look at it yesterday after work. They had boasted about beautiful hardwood floors. When I walked into my apartment there were HUGE sports the size of dinner plates where the finish had been scratched off. There is a huge hump in the floor that makes you feel seasick when you walk over it. Wood paneling in the kitchen (which was not in the one I was shown), appliances pulled away from the walls, dirt and dead bugs in the bathtub. So this place is pretty much trashed and I've already paid rent on it starting today and I have movers I put a deposit down with for Saturday.

So, I called the after hours number for the rental group and some retard came to speak with me and said she had been to the apartment earlier, and didn't see the scratches or hump in the floor. BS!

They said they couldn't fix the hump because it was made by reinforcements they had to put in a few years back, and they would spot treat the floors, and possibly paint the wood paneling. Ok... this should have been done a month ago! I'm supposed to move in 2 days. Any advice? Can I get all my money back or am I stuck?

June 01 2011 - Milwaukee

You may be stuck, but you may not. Put everything in writing. Drop it off at the management office and get a written receipt dated and signed by whoever you hand it to. Tell them that you refuse to accept the aprtment in that condition and that you will not take possession without a written agreement of what repairs will be completed and when.

Your position is not good since they have your money and you signed the lease without seeing the unit. Read through your contract and see if anything gives you an out. You may even need to pay an attorney for a consult. A 30 minute session with a sharp contact attorney would do it.

Do not move a stick of furniture in without have a photo of every surface and appliance. Walls, inside of the toilet, ceiling, counters, floor etc. Management companies like this often keep deposits and will blame you for any "damage" even if it preexisted your tenancy. Write the letter today, deliver it tomorrow, take pictures of everything, if it's not written down is doesn't exist so cover your behind now.