Profile picture for ddnise

Would I get a return on my money if I spent $200 to powerwash and restain my deck?

I am  getting my home ready to put on the market. I need a little landscaping done. Would it be worth while to power wash and restrain my deck. The deck is approximately 20 years old and hasn't had anything done to it within the last 7 years. I don't have much money to spend and want to get the most bang for the buck.
  • May 06 2014 - Buffalo Junction
  • 0

If you were going on a first date and hadn't washed  in 7 days, do you think there would be a second date?  Home buyers do want to see that routine maintenance is up to date.

Today I toured a house where the seller has put a lot of money into making some sections spiffy and new, but the flaking paint and rotten siding boards makes a buyer groan.

I would agree with Vicki and Ron. YES! 

First impressions matter to a buyer if they see a old uncared for deck, they may assume that the rest of the home is in the same "state" of upkeep and wonder what other work will need to be done to the home. Presenting a home that is well maintained will often get you more money and a faster sale. All the best with your listing!

Yes!  Remember you are marketing your home and need to put your best foot forward.  Think about it in terms of a job interview, with one opportunity to make an impression. Would you wear an old stained shirt or that new one you just bought?  That $200 will go a long way to make a good impression, one that says you've put in the money/effort to maintain your homes appearance and the buyer will be getting a good product.  

Imagine the opposite impression you'd be leaving with the buyer. Nothing has been done with this deck in years, I wonder what else has been ignored?  

Hope this makes sense, best of luck with the sale of your home!

I'd say yes.  You may not get an additional $200 but a buyer may buy your home because it is move in ready and requires no maintenance.  If that buyer comes along in the first 30 days, you may not have to make another house payment and therefore, you are getting a return on that $200!