Would a townhouse or a single family home make a better rental property investment?

My husband and I are looking to buy now and possibly rent in a few years.
  • April 22 2012 - Bowie
  • 0

We own 9 rental properties. In general, the town homes are less hassle as the HOA takes care of landscaping and external issues, but we have better cash flow and potential appreciation with a single family home.  If you're a first time investor, buy something small and get used to it.  You're likely to buy several later on.  We have clients that are so nervous about their first investment home and once they buy one they often come back to buy several more.  

Profile picture for Ray Halleran
While this is no right or wrong answer, I would prefer a townhouse for a rental unit. My wife and I bought our first townhouse 28 years ago and lived in it for 2 years and have been renting it out for 26 years.  Easy to take care of and in a rental price range that competes with Apartments, so it is a no brainer for the tenant to choose 3 levels, yard and deck for the same price as a two bedroom apartment.

Your rental can also be an excellent tool to purchase your retirement home down the road using a starkers exchange.

Great time to buy!

As you know, the Bowie area, like many others, has a hot rental market right now.  Both townhomes and singe family homes are in high demand.  However, there is a lot ot consider on your part.  I would like for you to think about  maintenance.  With a single family home the maintenance is ovbiously greater and you can not always assume that the tenant will take care of your property the same way you would.  So at the end of a lease it could cost you more to repair, etc. before a new tenant moves into the home.  There is also the option of buying a condo as a rental.  The maintenance would be even less than both a single family home and a townhouse.  There are some foreclosures and short sales in good locations.  The down side with trying to purchase a condo is that, due to condo dues delinquency rates, most are cash only deals.  Let me know if I can assist you with any other questions.  Good Luck

Profile picture for jennbonk

Bowie is a great market to buy in right now for future rental opportunities.  There are some great deals right now in both townhomes and single family homes, especially if you have the ability to wait for a short-sale.  Please give me a call and we can discuss your wants/needs.  Jenn (contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.) or you can contact my partner Kevin who specializes in investor opportunities (contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.).