Profile picture for runnergrl

Would blue & cream 4" checkboard tiles (on wall) go with soapstone countertop?

• May 18 2010 - Charlottesville
  • 0

Profile picture for runnergrl
mrs ryca - thanks for your honest opinion.  I think it's exactly what I feel about the tiles - I'm just so happy w/ the blue I hesitate to change.  I am going to get my cabinets refaced and new pewter knobs.  May not do anything more just yet.  Then when I do decide to redo the countertops w/ soapstone I will change the tile.  I was just hoping people would say the tile was perfect with soapstone - even thought I was pretty sure it was not. Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

Profile picture for mrs ryca

Honestly I think the tiles are dated and very busy.  A new tile job of that size will not be that expensive.  Get some advice from the soapstone company's designer as to what their customers have been pairing with this particular counter.  Your appliances and faucets are great...your cabnit pulls could be more substantial.  Love the window and trim. Do it right instead of trying to match and mismatch.  You will probably find new tile products that you just fall in love with ...and will be happier in the long run.

Profile picture for runnergrl
Thomas, actually I do have a sheet of stainless under the cabinet.  Thanks for the advice, though.  An exhaust fan would be great (especially when I'm cooking pasta) but would take much of my modest cabinet storage.  So, for now I've put it off.

From what I can see in the pictures it might not be a bad combination, but I would be careful to select a soapstone that has at least some of the blue in it that pulls the tiles together...
Be sure to double check with your local soapstone company, but most natural stone slabs are 3cm (1 1/4") which is shorter than your existing 1 1/2" laminate tops... You might need to address this height difference somehow, but this should also make it easier to redo the tilework after the tops are in if you decide you don't like it or decide to change it at a later date.

I can't tell from the picture but i thought I'd mention the possible fire hazard you have there...
 NKBA guideline #18 states:
30" minimum between cook surface and unprotected combustible materials (like your cabinet bottom)
24" minimum between a cook surface and a protected combustible material (range hood) (at the very least you could put a peice of stainless steel to protect the bottom of the cabinet from excess heat)

Nice looking kitchen! Good luck!

Bring a sample of the soapstone home in the condition you plan to keep it (oiled).  Let it sit on the counter against the tiles for several days so you get all sorts of light (daylight clouds, daylight sun at all different angles, artificial light) and observe.    My humble opinion is that it will not be a good match, and you should deal with the tiles at the same time, but I've not had the advantage of observing over many days in the environment where the soap stone will be installed.

Profile picture for runnergrl
The soapstone will be Old Dominion by Alberene in VA.  It is a charcoal and I will oil it.  House built in 1934.  Kitchen theme is yellow & blue. Wood floors.  Stainless appliances. Three walls yellow, wall w/ counter has 4" blue & cream tiles. Cabinets creamy white.  I want to have some blue to go w/ the blue accessories (Mexican platter, and assorted other objects & plates).  Afraid the present tiles might look too busy with the clean look of the soapstone. But will be a major project to get off the walls and do new tile.  Plus there is a 4' wall next to the stove w/ small blue & white checked wallpaper that would have to be removed.  I'm just afraid if I do the countertop and THEN the tiles don't go well, it will be difficult to remove present tiles w/out harming the soapstone.  But I do like the blue color in the tiles. I plan to stay in this house forever, so resale is not an issue at this point.

It might. What color is the Soapstone? Are you going to oil it or keep it dry?
 Personal preference will play a big factor into what 'you' like and don't... Other people may not like it at all...  Asking the question as simply as you put it just doesn't provide enough info for anyone to accurately say yes or no. This other info is so crucially important, you would need to describe in great detail the rest of the features, textures, and colors that are in the room(kitchen) as well as the flow from other rooms. Pictures do a better job of this than words...

Ultimately... If it is for yourself, do whatever makes you happy, but if you are doing this for resale... there may be safer choices that would appeal to a greater %age of the market.

Absolutely.