Profile picture for snooney

Would it be a good idea to get a student loan if i'm trying to get a house in two years.

I'm on a two year plan to get a house but I need a private student loan for school.  Is that a good or bad idea and why.

April 18 2010 - Stockbridge

When you go to buy a house, the lender will look at your debt to income ratio,  If you have debt beyond your earnings, no house.  However, if you do not have an education, well - now I am starting to sound like a mom and not a realtor.  I have 2 children in college, and I tell them to take one step at a time.  You may want to chat with a lender in your area, just to see what they have to say.  Good Luck, and study hard!

Profile picture for BryRob
I would avoid debt as much as you can. If you need to borrow money for school, I would not suggest buying a house.

Profile picture for AOHSFIRST

Get the education first. House prices are cheap and will be for another year. Bankers and Investors like educated people. You have more earning power and more opportunities with a better education. Just remember if you do get a school loan that negatively affects your debt to equity ratio. You want to watch it so it doesnt go over 30% if you need a bank loan for a home. We provide NO Banks Needed Homes In Georgia, mostly owner financed deals in Mcdonough and Stockbridge.  Banks are not making many loans these days but you can get a house without a bank loan and probably a better deal.
Mark from [link removed by Zillow moderator]

I suggest that you get the education, job opportunities, and income stream that come with it before you try to purchase a home.