Profile picture for 1250veolia

Would it be wrong for me to call the listing agent?

I'm in escrow on a  short sale its been about 6 weeks and I"m still  waiting on anwser from the bank.Would it be wrong for me to contact the listing agent who is dealing with the bank and would and could give more info to weather this short sale can get approved and yes I do have an agent.The listing agent said he would have a answer within 4 weeks and thats came and gone. Just maybe thinking I should pull out this short sale.
and would like to talk with the listing agent to get a better feel on the direction I should go with this

September 16 2009 - US

Believe me, your agent is just as frustrated as you are. the listing agent is going to tell you the samething. Get use to hearing that, you will hear it many many more times. Your agent will probably start being busy and not being able to answer the phone because he won't want to answer the phone when you call because there will not be updates they can give you. Short sales are a thing you have to just be patient with and continue looking else where as well. In fact, if you submit on a few bank owned properties, you may get lucky and get one of those. Or even search for some owner occupied properties, that is a great source. Then when you get an acceptance, dump the short sale. Beware, sometimes you can get all the way up to loading the moving truck and the bank can change their mind on a short sale and say, "we decided to foreclose instead." Short sale are extremely risky. Good luck! 

the agents are not in control of a short sale the lender is. The agent is giving you an estimate of time for response not a guarantee.

If your agent is not responding in a satisfactory and reasonable way to your concerns, then yes you can call the listing agent. You should be prepared to find out the listing agent unwilling or unable to provide any more satisfaction.

As an agent in Virginia living in Florida, we bought a short sale that took 5 months from contract to settlement. Our agent could not always satisfy my concerns as she could not properly convey my thoughts. I spoke with the listing agent several times. Each time time it became less awkward for the agent. You should however be prepared with real questions seeking information and facts while leaving emotions on sideline. In our case it was very different as I could speak the language of real estate. I also advised my agent about each of those discussions both beforehand and afterward. You might consider preparing your list of questions and concerns and scheduling a time to meet with your agent for a conference call or sit down with the listing agent.

As Mike said, let your agent do his job.

When I do a Short Sale, I let the buyers agent know that if buyers had questions, they can call me directly. I understand that everyone has different patience. A short sale is not for desesperate people.

Wait, Wait, Wait and trust the listing agent.

Handout for Short Sale buyers.
http://www.realtor.org/rmosales_and_marketing/handoutsforcustomers/handouts/short+sales+tips+for+buyers

I've seen short sales take up to a year for the bank to respond... unless the listing agent has a contact with the lender's loss mitigation department he shouldn't be able to guarantee when the bank will respond. This is something your agent should be handling though – if the listing agent said there will be a response in 4 weeks then your agent needs to contact the listing agent in 4 weeks for an update.

Contact your agent first and have THEM contact the listing agent.

The 4 week time frame for a short sale was rather ambitious on the part of the listing agent. Short sales can take upwards of 4 months, not 4 weeks.