Profile picture for VerveWeb

Would you buy a . . . garage?

I just know you are going to tell me - it depends on your area....

I'm thinking ahead here. I wonder if when I sell - will what I write below be a good thing or a bad thing?

House: 4 bedroom, 2 story cape cod on ONE ACRE of land *[sub par plot, see below]*
Location: Upper, Midwest
Area Stats: 1/2 Farm, 1/2 Houses - some condos coming to the area. *Most houses are on 3 to 5 acres.* Most houses have barns, pull barns or large garages used for mechanics or woodworking, etc. Many homes that aren't farms even have garages bigger than their houses. Even though it is a rural area, I can see it becoming less rural in about 10 years. The outskirts seem to be filling up with condos and a main street that runs near the edge of town is growing very rapidly with businesses.

Besides a 2 car garage attached to the house, it has a big detached 2 story, 2 car garage up our hill [mechanics garage].

ISSUE: My husband wants to build a one story, four car garage IN PLACE of the big garage. I'm afraid that with us having only a ONE acre lot - will someone want to buy a 'GARAGE' with a house, lol? Get it? As opposed to a house with a garage? Think we will be waiting for "the right person" in even a great future market? Everybody tells me I'm crazy for worrying about this - that it will add to the house and is the thing for the area. That there are "all these guys" who are like your husband and work on things in big garages. And people have so many toys now - they all need an extra garage or two. People spend money on storage because they don't have a big garage/barn. So?
  • August 09 2007 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for lonewolf6108
Im a guy like your husband. Right now i live in a suburb in a culdesac with a big yard and a 2 car garage...... and im miserable because i spend more time trying to cram more stuff into a small garage than i do working on my cars (i have 5) Im actually considering moving to a more rural area and dealing with a one hour ferry ride to work just to find a place with a big garage at a reasionable price. I'd go with it... you will be suprised at how may people are looking for a home with space and a big garage

Profile picture for lonewolf6108
also if you build it, make sure at least part of it has a high celieng height (16 ft or so) this will facilitate a car lift or indoor parking for a trailer or r.v.

I know in my area, a 4-car garage would be very desirable.

Profile picture for VerveWeb
Well, so far - looks like Christmas may come early for the husband ;)

All good reasons and suggestions. I think the fact that I see over and over again all these storage places going up - even if a person didn't work on cars, they probably would have enough stuff to fill it! And about heights and such - oh, lordy he has the lifts and placement of those rolling red cabinets and everything plotted out. Going to have concrete floors, heat, intercom to the house and I'll be putting a computer and wireless out there. Can't inventory your parts without a computer - I'll probably never see him again! Good - Bad? We'll see.

Thanks all.

Profile picture for jason717
a garage is definitely a plus, anything extras always contributes to a good sale

Profile picture for Coconutcream
Garages are ugly. I wouldn't buy a house with such a huge appendage attached. I wouldn't even want a three car garage. The kid's car can stay outside and he can clean the snow off of it. It's good for him.

Also, don't people have basements to store all their crap?

The detached 4-car garage (perfect match to the brick house) is what made my husband and I buy our present home. It is attractive and he had to have covered storage for his classic cars. The house also has an attached 2-car garage for our everyday cars. Now I have the house I always wanted and he has his own private garage that he is remodeling to have his dream car garage complete with TV, fridge, lounge area. It is a large garage 1500 SF but it is away from the house far enough so that it does not compete.

Profile picture for bethrahrig
Something else to consider, is if you can have part of it that can be easily converted to either an office or an apartment later. We've been thinking about it for us in case our parents ever needed some one to keep an eye on them, but not 24 hour care.

Profile picture for allmuxedup
Wht not just add onto the one you already have? You say you have a 2 car/2 story garage. Why not just ad an apendage for the 2 additional cars? Knock out one wall & tack it on. Seems to me that an addition is better then building a whole new building. You don't say when the 'old' one was built... but I find that older buildings are much better built than many new ones. My broker knows better than to even waste time on a house or apt building that was built after 1969, I won't buy it.

Profile picture for CarCastle

I eat and sleep garages! As a car collector I know that one of the top places to find garage nirvana (and to advertise, sell or buy) a garage that happens to have a house is a website called CarProperty.com http://www.CarProperty.com

If you love garages, check it out!

Profile picture for CarCastle

Thats' CarProperty.com ...  sorry I didn't get the link in last time ... this is the first time on this discussion feature for me

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

What's up with advertising garages on all these revived threads?  Did you a do a search for "garage" and post on every thread like this?

Profile picture for Michinaga

All you 4-car-garage people are going to have a hard time selling in about 20 years when the automobile, and the gas costs that come with it, is no longer economically viable.

What you want to do is take Bethrarig's advice and make sure that the garage can be readily converted to office or apartment space.  That's going to look great around 2030 when you've got people looking to house elderly baby-boomer relatives with them and possibly telecommute from home.  Your property taxes might be higher depending on how that space is classified, but the sooner yuo wean yourself off automobile-centered life, the better.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

My parents have a house out in the country.  It is underground with a 4 car underground garage.  If they didn't have a car, they'd have to walk or ride a bike 45 miles to work and 45 miles home everyday.  That is a little farfetched.  :)  If everyone out in the country moved into the town or citites they worked in, it'd be impossibly crowded and overpopulated.