Profile picture for LCPLE3

Would you get rid of your pets because of a move?

I don't think that I can do it. I have 3 pugs and 2 cats. Moving soon because of my job. So I know this will limit me where I can live next. Has anyone here gone through this situation?

• July 14 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for mina36
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER !!!!!

Profile picture for mina36
It can be very tough to find a rental that allows pets though.

Profile picture for mpal.

Asolutely Neva!!!

Profile picture for JimSulli456

I couldn't do it.  I will pay whatever Pet Deposit if I was renting, or buy just to keep my 2 boys.

Profile picture for Oklahomamom

I had an excess of cats. So yes! I had 3. It hurt but I found them new homes. We kept the dog and the guinea pig.

Profile picture for Winifred

Nope, couldn't do it. 

Profile picture for TWB
  • TWB

One of my sisters added a dog to their household when the next door neighbors moved out and left their dog tied to a tree in the back yard.  Just drove away and left it.  A friend adopted a cat when the owner died and the family just put it outside when they cleaned out the house.

I don't understand this mentality.  It's outrageous.  Pets are not there for our conveninece.  You take the responsibility you've got it for as long as the pet is alive.

Some things are unavoidable but some of the "solutions" are irresponsible and childish to put it mildly.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

We took in a bunny last nite that was injured and hid in our garage :o(  (The baby-face killah may have been the culprit, don't know)  anyway... he was alive still so we made a make-shift cage, gave water and lettuce and carrots.  He was still alive in the am and we had hope.  We went to play outside (the kids and I) and there were 2 HUGE Turkey Vultures outside.  I went in to check on the bunny and he had passed away.  Those vultures could smell it.  Add THAT to the creepy post!

My long-winded side-tracked point IS:  No.  I could never.  I can't even leave a wild bunny outside that's hurt!

Profile picture for mckylie

I couldn't leave my baby!  My kids would never forgive me either!!!!!!

Profile picture for dunmoved

Oh HELL no.  We've even moved because our cats didn't like an apartment we rented. ;-)

Profile picture for fairygirl43

We gave our cat to a wonderful home before we moved this last time.  DH's allergies were really starting to be a problem and we didn't want our elderly cat to get completely stressed out when we moved.  We had that happen many years ago to my most wonderful cat.  We moved from Tucson to Cincinnati (air travel) and my sweet girl never did make the adjustment.  She went into kidney failure not long after we got to Cincinnati.  It was heart breaking. 

As for the dogs, they made this last long trip just fine. 

But it can be extremely difficult to find quality rentals that allow pets.  I remember our first apartment outside of Philly that accepted our cats (this was in the late 1980s) - to say it was disgusting was an understatement.  Fortunately, we were only there a year and found another much nicer apartment that allowed our girls.

Profile picture for broker_GRI

When I moved out of the house I own (literally in one night) I had a tough time finding a place that would rent to me with cats. I lost my beautiful Akita Eros who weighed more than I do in 2006 had he still been with me…we may have been “camping out” for awhile.

Now that I clean out REO’s I hear stories of pets left behind and have found a couple “who had gone on to a much better place” Heartbreaking.

When we moved from Milpitas in 2003 one of our cats disappeared a week before we had to move. I went back and searched the neighborhood and shelters for months, one of the reasons I am such a big micro-chip fan. One of our other cats was a house feral who would not come in the house so I ended up sleeping in an empty house with the door open for two D@mn days before finally getting him.
So the thought of just leaving one behind is really “unthinkable”

no no no no no!  Our pets come before our jobs etc.  If we're unable to take 'em with us, we don't relocate. Absolutely non-negotiable.  Period!

Profile picture for Carrie.

How about kids?

Profile picture for Webster3

kids yes. pets no.

Profile picture for Webster3

and yes i'm kidding. (sorta)

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

No way!  We moved a horse. pony and dog.  It cost a fortune but they are part of the family.

Profile picture for aapostrophe

not even an option.  no way. never. ever. ever. ever.    the dudes (my kitties) are my best pals!

i have never understood how someone could even consider just getting rid of a pet because of an inconvenience. 

Profile picture for Aratinga
Sad to say, but many people think of pets as simply possessions, not family members. I've worked in Shiba Rescue for years, and the so-called "reasons" that people use for being unable to keep their dog anymore are ridiculous. Moving should never ever be a reason to abandon a pet. You suck it up and find a rental that allows you to keep your pet, even if it's not as luxurious as you think you deserve.

We're dealing with a situation right now with a young couple who adopted one of our rescues last year. Now, the couple is expecting their first baby and the mother-in-law is insisting that they must get rid of the dog before the baby is born. Apparently no one dares to argue with this stupid woman, and now we're scrambling to find the dog another home. The husband is heartbroken but is being given no choice by M-I-L. I'd love to tell him, "Grow spine, wimp!" -- but we know from experience it'll do no good. The dog will end up in the pound eventually if we don't re-home her.

Sorry for the rant but this type of thing just really bothers me. People are so ignorant sometimes.

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

This brings up the whole subject of mourning when we lose a pet to illness etc.  My work expected "business as usual" hours after I had my dog die suddenly.  My animals are family members and I could never just get rid of them in a move like they were a piece of furniture.

"Get rid of pets"?  No.  Never.  But I'd get rid of a man first in a heartbeat...LOL!

Profile picture for mpal.

OMG CHER!!!!!!!!!! I was just thinking about you and Robin and wondering how you are doing, so.......how are you doing?

Profile picture for KD in Texas

So how many marriages stay together because of the pets.  :)  It's too hard to find a place to live that will accept pets if you split up.

Hey mpal,

We're hanging in there, trying to work magic in this market.  Some listings are selling, but it is a lot slower to go than last year.  Plus, we're in the middle of summer - a historically quiet time for real estate anyway.  I am not in vacation mode, but rather, thinking ahead to fall about what kind of marketing we'll be doing.  Oh, I am also planning to visit friends in Dubai in February...so that will be exciting for me if I can make it happen.

How are you, and your darling little dog?  :)

Profile picture for mpal.

Hey ther Cher,

Nice to hear from you! We are doing fine, adjusting to our new community and home.  The summer is flying by!! Dubai sounds exciting, I'm sure a break from this market is well deserved!! How's your pup doing?

new community and home?  sorry emmypal..u lost me there!  i guess i have been out of touch too long - i didn't even know you moved! 

maxine is getting up there in years, but she's fine for the most part...in fact she is at the foot of my bed as type.. ;)

Profile picture for OCSpanky

I gave a dog a needle 1 week ago. It's about personal survival and I win.

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

No you lose loser

Profile picture for JimSulli456

Profile picture for JimSulli456

1. 1
  2. 2