Young Family wants to move to San Diego from Casas Adobes, AZ.

Hello, my husband and I are considering moving, with our two boys,to a safe neighborhood in San Diego County. We currently own a home in Casas Adobes, AZ. We want to know how to start preparing for the out-of-state moving process and would like advice. We want to make sure we get the most equity out of our current property to have a 20% down payment but don't want to wait too long so that the market is no longer in our favor. Any advice would be great! Thanks
  • July 26 2013 - San Diego
  • 0

Clarissa,
Welcome, in advance to San Diego. I am a native and have lived in many parts of the county. There are many great neighborhoods in San Diego that are safe and have many activities for children of all ages.

So far as prepping your home for sale, the most important things are that the house should be clean and clutter free. If things need repairing do that now rather than have the buyer ask. That shows pride of ownership. Interview a couple of agents to find one that you are comfortable with. You will be working closely so make sure you get along. Also make your home available for viewing by potential buyers, if they can't see it they won't buy it. Price the home competitively. Overpriced homes don't get shown and become stale on the market.

I would be glad to discuss your wants and needs for a new home. Things to consider are convenience to work, shopping and other public services. Fees on properties in addition to basic tax. Quality of public schools if your children will be attending public school. And of course home type, size and price.
Please let me know if I can help you.
Jerry Heard

Profile picture for Blys Realty Group
Hello,my name is Richard Bly from Bly's Realty Group. Our brokerage pretty much covers all of San Diego County.We would be happy to assist you with the transition from Arizona to San Diego. Please, feel free to contact us with any questions.

Richard Bly

Clarissa,

I'm not a RE pro, just another consumer. What I recommend regarding your sale is that you first have a strong understanding of what you need to get in order to move forward with your plans.

That means researching San Diego to determine where you want to live, and how much it will cost to live there.

I can tell you that North County has a better rep, especially with respect to schools/etc. But, as with all areas, there are areas of North County that have better reps than others - and there are other areas (central, south, east) that also have decent reps. It all depends on how you prioritize and rank your criteria.

In my area, schools service areas with housing prices ranging from mid-400's to multi-million (although many, in all price ranges, also avail themselves of private schools).

Certain areas are definitely regarded as "unsafe", but "safe" areas may not support the lifestyle you want.

Once you know what it is going to take to move forward, then you are in a much better position to assess what you need to clear from your current property. I would focus on that number, vice trying to time your local market for "max equity".

Hi Clarissa,
I would be happy to assist you in your home purchase. Please contact me directly and we can look at what areas you are interested and try to run some numbers, so that you have all the info you need to make your decisions!

Sinead McAllister