Profile picture for BenM1

Your estimate of my home is insane

I live at 9109 Matthews Pl. NE in Seattle (98115). I just looked at my Zillow home value, which is 628,000. My next neighbor at 9105 Matthews Pl NE has a home value of 724,000 according to you. This is insanity. The homes were built at the same time, the lot size and sq. footage are almost identical. The only difference is our house has beautiful landscaping (my wife is a landscape designer) and we have made several improvements that my neighbor did not make; a large patio, ceiling fan in the master bedroom, build-in surround sound, upgraded lighting fixtures and appliances,an awning over the back sliding door and we have repainted almost all of the inside of the house.

I realize that you can not inspect the homes that you appraise, but this is liking saying that one identical twin is worth more than the other, where the other twin (us) has done so much to have greater value. This is very disappointing when I look at the disparate values you are assigning to these homes.

August 17 2010 - Matthews Beach

Profile picture for HousePoorAmerica
WOW, it is insane! Just looked at it and both zestimates are WAYYYYY too high.

I have this same situation going on with a house that I own as well.  Zestimates are sometimes drastically off.  The good news is that unless you're selling, it doesn't really matter.  Also, even if you are selling, most people know that these zestimates are off- sometimes a little & sometimes a lot (or they figure it out once they go looking for homes).

Have you checked through everything to see that your tax records are accurate & the information zillow is reporting is accurate.  It could be that there is something with the records that is pushing it to such a drastic difference.

If I had a twin, I'd be worth more than she would- just sayin'  Tee hee

Beth Grotelueschen

Ben,

Don't loose sleep over it.  A Zestimate is just one web site's opinion on the value of your home.  It can be off by a good amount.  It really doesn't mean anything.  Nor does your neighbors.  If and when the time comes to sell you should get a professional opinion on the value and all of the things you have mentioned will be taken into consideration.  Until then a Zestimate isn't really taken seriously.