Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

Your old house!

a fun topic for once instead of all the doom and gloom.
Has anyone ever seen any of their past homes?
Was it changed drastically ?

the reason I ask is because I just came across one of my old homes on zillow for sale and the owner posted pictures... It was cluttered and didnt look like I remembered it. funny I thought it was a lot nicer when I lived there.

http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=47976413
  • November 12 2007 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail
I heard that the apartment I sold in Manhattan was renovated and flipped like a stock. I have not seen it after I sold.

Yes! I'm still mad about it. My dad built it for $15,000 in 1958. My brother stole it from my mom in 1980 and sold it for pennies. Now it is beautiful. Weird story though-----that same brother, used his stolen money to buy an old farm house---k, I'll shorten the story----he died of brain cancer from the rat droppings accumulated in the attic of the old house he was renovating. Be aware-----be very aware!!!!!!!! I'm not kidding, this is no joke.

That's really sad Anna.

Profile picture for mastercrash13
Oh yeah.....been there done. My Dads house in Queens NYC. My Great grandfather built in in 1897. Great little yard with a small pond, and fixed up nice to the 20th century.

When we moved him down here and in with us it was sold and the people concreted over the yard and mangled the interior. Broke our hearts.

Hope the ghost of my great aunt Emma got our revenge for us....she was a b&%$#! LOL Should we have TOLD them the house was haunted? LOL

Gary

The lady who bought my last home went to foreclosure about 1 1/2 years later. I walked thru it and it was just like I left it, only filthy. The only house Ive ever been emotionally attached to- the rest are just boxes. I took the foreclosure personally!

Profile picture for Happy Owner
I had the oppurtunity to revisit my past house two weeks after the new owners moved in. I was really missing my house, as it was my first and so many memories. When I saw their stuff in 'my' house, it was weird, but it helped me move on emotionally. I am confident that the new owners will take as much pride in the home as I did. I feel like they really respect what we did to the home during our time there. I will always have found memories of that house, but now I have closure. I feel more like I have passed a torch, rather than sold a home. In all, it has been a positive, emotional journey.

I am sorry to hear that some of you have had a different experience.

Profile picture for Happy Owner
sorry, fond, not found.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
this is our first house together, so it'll be weird to say the least... can't really imagine it yet.

Profile picture for Coconutcream
I go by my grandparents waterfront beach house whenever I'm down at the shore in Ct. My mother and her sisters sold it after my grandmother died in 1971 for $78,000 - which was a lot of money then. The house has been winterized is now worth approx $1 million.

Profile picture for Deanne_OR
I checked Zillow for my first home. I really loved that place and wish I could have moved it with me. I bought it for 41,000 and Zillow puts the value at 147,000 now. It has one bedroom / one bathroom is about 800 sq ft and was built in 1910. I've had visions of moving back to MN just so I could re-buy my house.

Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail
I wouldn't want my old apartment back. And when I sell my current house, I could not really care less what happens to it. No emotion. If it burns to the ground, I could not care less.

Profile picture for another_dustbunny
My family owned a beach block duplex in Ocean City NJ for about twenty years. We spent a couple of months each summer in the top unit looking after tenants, and enjoying the beach. We sold it a year before we moved to Arizona. The woman who bought it completely gutted the place and turned it into an amazing house, but I kinda missed the casual, cozy, beach house feel it had when we owned it. Of course, it's worth like 4x's as much now. I wish we'd held on to that place, both for sentimental and financial reasons.

Oddly, I don't miss the house I grew up in. I think that may be because I'm mental.

My last two houses don't make me want to return to them, both owners have managed to ruin all the beautiful landscaping I had done, the curb appeal is all but destroyed, that is the only thing that makes me sad, what did those plants ever do to them! I am sure the ones buying my current house will destroy all the shasta daisies that were several feet tall this summer and need to be split this next spring.....very sad. Anna, I know you will understand that........

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin
I never realized everyone else thought so much of their former homes. I thought it was just me being strangely attached to it. but I guess when you personalize something like that ... make memories.. it becomes such a part of your life in that span.

Funny thinking back to some of the things that happend ..parties... etc. can say i dont miss the neighbors though .... I man none of them were bad just unfriendly.

We had names for all of them .. the guy next door was Wilson because he always talked to me over the fence. ours was chain link but still kind of the same. Then you have lawn mower man who cut his grass 2-3 times a week. and then there was ( i'm almost embarrased to admit this) Crappy car people. They always had really beat up dumpy cars that look like they stole them from the scene of an accident.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin
Whats your best neighbor nickname ?

"The Dark Side" was our name for the family that lived behind us.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin
I dont know if I should ask ?

S
T
A
L
K
E
R

I felt like I was in that movie Single White Female, only this was Married White Wife......

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin
lol...

The home we are in now has ... Walker texas ranger...( she walks the neighborhood everyday) bob the painter..( obvious) ... the drummer boy ( plays drums for disney and universal.).. disgruntled guy... ( cop that hates life)

I had one of those too 3girls, had to hide my car so she wouldn't know I was home

LOL Mpal......

I had to go to court against this nut job!!!!

OH my Lord!!! I moved!

I moved too.......they had their house on market and could not sell it, when the opportunity came for us to bolt, we did just that! I feel safe knowing there are 3 states between us!! But I still shiver when I see the same car that she drove.........