ZILLOW POSTLETS WEBSITE HOSTS SCAM ARTISTS

The POSTLETS.com website operated by Zillow is a host to scam artists who are trying to rent homes listed for sale. Can't find a way to talk or email the Zillow people.  The renters are showing up  at the seller's home!  How can we contact Zillow to catch these people listing homes for rent that are for sale.  Sellers are worried about their safety.  We'll be contacting local police to see what else can be done.....

• January 19 2012 - Gulfport
  • 2

What you can do, is go to the edit button on the listing and report a problem.

Here's a link to Zillow Scams and internet fraud FAQ with some "what to do" info.

On the home details page, hover cursor over edit, chose "report problem with listing" and then chose "rental scam".  Zillow tends to remove these very promptly.

Is there any free internet real estate site that doesn't have scam artists?

Profile picture for RobynFurman
These people should be stopped.  They charge 40.00 to give you what you think is a list of homes they have available right now.  But then you get the same list of foreclosed homes with instructions of how to bug the people in the homes to rent them to you.  IT IS A BIG SCAM!!!  Why would zillow allow this SPAM SCAM. 

@Robyn:  Zillow appears to be increasing their diligence on making it more difficult for scammers, but the scammers seem to be jumping over hurdle after hurdle.  Scamming must be incredibly lucrative.  One of the more recently filters (US phone number verification with a live person answering) has made a lot of bonafide agents a bit annoyed. 

Do you have some suggestions on more filters Zillow can implement to minimize scammers?   I've made a couple of suggestions, and Zillow did respond.

Just happened to us. Postlets and Zillow must vet these postings. It is causing problems and issues across the industry. Yes, we can report scams but it is their responsibility to stop this. Craig's list works hard to address these kind of issues.

Do you have some specific suggestions on how Zillow can implement more filters to diminish scam activity yet still let bonafide listings appear?     Remember, at the moment listing rentals and finding rentals is free.

Craigslist continues to be a joke related to scams, IMHO.

Profile picture for ahnbev
A Scam? Explains why responder doesn't leave last name, contact information or why the site doesn't answer emailed question about specific type of help offered. Glad I saved my $. Sounded too good to be true.

Profile picture for Vincent Salgado
I have found that a very high percentage of rental listings on postlets are scams.  I'm surpirsed that a reputable site like Zillow hasn't taken notice.

Profile picture for AzMom26
I also found a scam from a postlet ad on Truila....if it sounds to good to be true IT IS!!!!!

Profile picture for Peterina2
I have not had any problems Posting in zillow. All the interested renters have been genuine, not the ones that can rent but genuine ones so far. However, I tried to contact them because the posting pictures of the renovated house got mixed with the pictures the former owner had placed before remodeling 2 years ago! I did not get a response from zillow, because there was no way getting rid of those pictures showing in the add but I found out how to solve that problem. I can see how thatight be a problem if something happens.

I just had one of my listings that I had on Zillow and Tulia  scammed  onto Craigs list  for one
half of the rental price we had it listed.. They took my pictures  and my wording  to use as there
own.  Then listed it for one half of the rental price. There has to be a way to stop them

Beverly Manlapaz  Realtor 

Profile picture for 1bobstacy1
I am new to this sight and had a problem listing in renting. It was a draft only but didn't let me put it in rental both buttons was highlighted the rental and sale. I do not know what I am doing and couldn't change this at this point that i could find. Could it be a listing by mistake. I am still having trouble listing and didn't do it.
Not saying some might not be a scam but I still am having trouble.

This is an ongoing problem for both the realtor and for those of us that are trying to rent. Just when you think that you have found a house in a nice neighborhood for a reasonable price.....it turns out to be a scam.

Nobody wants to get involved with stopping these scam artists. Do not think that the sheriff or local police will do anything even if you lose money. I personally check out every realtor before I contact them and individuals claiming to be the owner that has a house for rent especially if other houses in the same area are at a higher price.

My listings have shown up in both Postlets and HotPads for rent. Both belong to Zillow. Both are scams. If it isn't bad enough that we have to explain away Zillow's ridiculous "Zestimates" now I have to fend off rental scams. I have people calling me off my signs wanting to rent the house I have listed.

Zillow knows this is going on and apparently condones this scam.  Both of these bogus sites used the legitimate photographs and copy I put into Zillow!

Zillow apparently syndicates my legitimate information to its rental scam sites with a "catch me if you can" attitude and a list of things I can do to get them to knock it off. To suggest that it is somehow my responsibility to police Zillow's scam subsidiaries is preposterous. Hey Zillow, how about fixing your credibility problem with these loser sites you own? You know what they are doing...hell we all know what they and by extension you are doing.

"Both of these bogus sites used the legitimate photographs and copy I put into Zillow!"

It would be helpful to everyone if agents took the time to protect their own listings by watermarking the photos. There are great free programs or you can do them in bulk by folder on paid programs. Watermarking with the agent name or phone number would make scammers look elsewhere.

Watermarking is like locking your front door. Thieves may still break a window to get in, but most will look elsewhere.

Woah John:  You write "To suggest that it is somehow my responsibility to police Zillow's scam subsidiaries is preposterous".  I'm a landlord, and have learned that there are dozens of sites that end up with scams.   Because I care for the consumers, I police my listings daily.  It is part of the internet world of advertising.  It is indeed a bother, but Zillow has implemented so many hoops to jump through to post rentals that bonafide landlords and agents are screaming foul.   I guess their next step would be to charge a hefty fee so they can hire staff to screen every listing rigorously ... perhaps a hundred bucks per listing?

To propose that Zillow is turning your listings into scam listings suggests a bit more study of the nasty world of scammers is needed.  

You are not required to use ZIllow.   Dozens of sites have AVMs, so if you master explaining the ridiculous Zestimates you may find the education useful when people ask about other AVMs.

Profile picture for cutewilson
Yeah was looking and they have my home with pictures up for sale, How can I get them to remove it all?