Profile picture for joelhans

Zestimate seem off...

I am curious why our home at 865 Stony Mesa Pl, Castle Rock, CO is priced only at $194,000?  There are 2 other units that are identical to us in that they are end units, are the same model, and have the same County assessment value.  A difference is that these other units lack beautiful view of the city that our unit has to offer.  These units at  875 Rock Mesa Pt & 753 Stony Mesa Pl are both 'zestimated' at $214k & 215k respectively.  I am just irritated that we have an identical unit to these other two and a better view in the same area of our development but for some unknown reason they are estimated at a value that is $20,000 greater than our humble home.
  • November 30 2012 - Castle Rock
  • 0

Zillow's Zestimate - I understand your concern and frustration. However I don't believe you should worry over an automated computer model which uses a generic program to estimate property values. Zestimate is merely a tool. Very offer Zillow's "Zestimate" is very wrong in it's evaluations for many reasons. Quality, condition, amenities, age, lot, views, and much more. Case in point - I am working with a property right now and Zillow states an increased value of $100k+ in the past 6 months. Have you heard of any recent situations where a property in the $600k range has increased in value $100k in the past fews month? Probable not. Another Broker and myself have no idea how Zillow came up with that increased value.  

The true value of a property is what a Buyer is willing to pay. Just because Zillow states a value, does not mean that it the true value.  That apply's to appraisals, Broker Price Opinion's, Comparative Market Analysis', and other valuation estimates.  If you want to know what you home is worth, discuss the situation with knowledgeable Real Estate Agent who knows the local area, can review recent sold units, an understands the current market. That will be your best assessment for a valuation.

Someone writing a check to purchase your house, knows the value best - not a computer generated report.