Zillow Announces Zestimate Improvements

Starting this evening, we have expanded and improved our database of nearly all homes in the U.S., adding more data on more homes and improving the accuracy of our proprietary Zestimate® home valuations.

Read more about this exciting change in our Zestimate Improvements FAQ.

We understand that there may be many questions about specific Zestimates. As our Zestimate algorithm is proprietary we will be unable to answer with specificity why your Zestimate is what it is, or why it may have changed with these improvements. Again, we invite you to read our FAQs on the topic to get a better understanding of what Zestimates are all about:

Zestimate Improvements FAQ
What is a Zestimate?

We will also be updating our Zestimate Values and Accuracy data.

Update: We now have two blog posts on the recent changes...

Zillow Expands and Improves Database of Homes
Upgrading the Zestimate

Thanks for using Zillow!
Russ
Zillow Customer Support and Community Relations

June 13 2011 - US

Profile picture for MerkavaIV
I am curious as to why my home's value dropped 50,000 dollars to fall exactly on the "average value" of homes in my area. Smells of bad fish to me.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Bump back to the Front Page...again

Russ, seriously...Zillow has gone haywire....whatever you guys have done to "improve" the site has buried it.  It is a joke now.  No longer a reliable source.  hate it

Profile picture for AOTW
  • AOTW
  • Contributions:35
Because I brought this up earlier
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1471-Hillcrest-Blvd-Millbrae-CA-94030/15508536_zpid/
is still showing a previous sale price (749k) but shows the more recent sale (828k) in the chart, and as coming from gov records. I would think that the updates would be more automatic in repopulating the various fields, and this leads to a question of which numbers (if any) contribute to a modification of the Zestimate.

Profile picture for AOTW
  • AOTW
  • Contributions:35
So.. July 1st at noon it appears we have yet another "new" algorithm. :(

It's getting really hard to take you clowns seriously. 

"I would think that the updates would be more automatic in repopulating the various fields" -

There is nothing "automatic" about getting public records from public sources....  Zillow spends a HUGE amount of their operating expenses on paying 3rd party data collection companies for access to public records data in an electronic format they can use.  And much staff time is used to upload that data to the site in batches as provided.

It takes an average of 6 weeks from the time a sale is recorded to the time Zillow has the data for uploading.

Both those recent sales are indicated in the "price history" for that property.

As to which items affect the Zestimate calculations?
Primarily these:
1) house sqft
2) lot sqft
3) # bedrooms
4) # bathrooms
5) # stories
6) year built
7) tax assessed value (adjusted for local rules)
8) last sold price extrapolated from sold date
9) covered parking (if in the county records).

(And yes, if recently sold and not a "family transfer", the market value is the "sold price", and that is what the curve is showing).

But from those listing prices, and the "quick flip", it certainly looks like someone is playing marketing games.  Possibly mortgage fraud?

For the most part, Zillow does not do massive "recalculations" of historic trends as it is very time consuming and uses huge amounts of "rented" computing power.  They often re-do small areas as needed.  Otherwise, they just do 3 new calculations per week for each property.  But the chart only shows one calculation per month, and is always delayed by about a month due to the data collection time.  You will note, they added the June 1st estimate to the chart, but have the last update date shown as July 1st.  You will also note that the 5/4/2011 sale did not affect the 5/1/2011 estimate, as the estimates are only done "foreward" from "past" data, never the other way around.

Since many posting on this thread give examples of cases where the new algorithm is worse; I thought I would post an example of one where the new algorithm is better.  For privacy reasons (for personal friends...), I'm not giving any address; but this is one property I've been watching:

Previous algorithm 10 year trend chart:

Present algorithm 10 year trend chart (same property):

Yes, in both cases the "fluctuations" should be ignored (smoothed), as that is indicating the random nature of what sells at any given point in time, and is not related at all to actual market changes, as noticed if you look at the median and tiered index charts.

You will also note they didn't redo the calculations prior to 2006 yet, as they are still working on various issues before redoing those.

(Don't forget to shift over the chart to account for the time that has elapsed since the previous chart was saved).

Profile picture for northwest
Interesting Pasa how you got your latest reply to not only be the best answer, but also 1st out of the shoot on this thread instead of the last in received order. Must know a little trick ; 

"Must know a little trick" -

A small site "bug" that showed up Wednesday night after a program "upgrade", that has been talked about on several threads over the past few days...

Zillow says they are working to correct the bug.
Maybe it will be fixed by this coming Wednesday night?

Here is the present trend chart with the prior chart overlaid (superimposed) in red (same house as previously mentioned...):

For more clarity, and to read the text better:
http://photos3.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i7/i6144/IS1nvtyn61couxv.jpg

(Rescaling, color changes and Superimposing done with with Corel PhotoPaint).

Profile picture for Pavane
Pure insanity.  My modestly priced house lost $70,000 in value in a weekend, according to this peculiar tool  The new Zestimate does not accurately reflect listing or actual sale prices in my area (I've consulted my very knowledgeable and experienced realtor, who ran several comps to confirm this after lol-ing when I said "Zillow"), the fact that my home has been completely remodeled, the actual number of bedrooms and bathrooms in my home (although I can change this onsite, it's the weekend, and I'd prefer to watch repeat episodes of Game of Thrones while drinking stiff martinis and fantasizing about barfing upon the Zillow CEO), the new tax assessment on my home, etc., etc., etc. 

Something is rotten in the state of Zillow, and it's not my cute little Craftsman.

Profile picture for AOTW
  • AOTW
  • Contributions:35
As there have been a few houses previously mentioned, it's hard to guess what this chart represents. Certainly not 1471 Hillcrest.

Lets try another in the same neighborhood, 170 Alto Loma, Millbrae, 94030
Sold 3/8/11 (in 4 days) for 925k. Result of this sale drove the Zest from 747k to the current 743k..

"As there have been a few houses previously mentioned, it's hard to guess what this chart represents. Certainly not 1471 Hillcrest." -

Certainly not; the one I previously mentioned, and provided "before" and "after" charts for.  The same charts; just superimposed.

I didn't bother saving any charts prior to the algorithm change for someone else's area of interest.  Everyone needs to save their own copies of charts that interest them.

"Lets try another in the same neighborhood, 170 Alto Loma, Millbrae, 94030 Sold 3/8/11 (in 4 days) for 925k. Result of this sale drove the Zest from 747k to the current 743k.." -

You need to flag that property ("report a problem button" under the "edit" pull down tab under the main photo)...

It is indicating the "last sold date" as March 2008.  That is where the estimating error on that property is coming from.

As they say, if the data used is not correct, you are going to get misleading results.  Though Zillow pays a fortune to 3rd party data collection companies to get the public records data in electronic format, those data collection companies still make mistakes, and the data doesn't always upload properly.

Profile picture for AOTW
  • AOTW
  • Contributions:35
Not my site, Pasadenan. And not my problem. Simply pointing up that the people Zillow "pays a fortune" to are sinking the company. On the other hand, that sale was obviously reported.

The further point is that even if correct there is no mechanism to accommodate anomalous sales. For example, across the street from that, at 185 Alto Loma, 94030 is a house that has two charts, one showing an absurd (even for 2007) '07 est over 2 mill. The other reflects a sale of 650k, but fails to note that this house sold in zero days, never listed. Perhaps just a tax dodge? As important, why is there a difficulty in flagging duplicate addresses? 

"As important, why is there a difficulty in flagging duplicate addresses?" -

The "report a problem" button under the "edit" pull down tab under the main photo should work... but there may be an issue with some browsers.  The programmers tend to "test" with Firefox, and then wait for the complaints to come in before fixing the issues for other browsers in use.  It appears that Google Chrome frequently has button issues with the scripts.

Profile picture for AOTW
  • AOTW
  • Contributions:35
Seems you're running under the assumption that Realtors, or even people in general, want Zillow to succeed... and that even those that do will help try to make the Oogie Woogie Secret Algorithm work out.  In my limited experience many Realtors would be happier if Zillow failed.. And most are openly derisive.

"Publish and wait for complaints" doesn't sound like much of a model.

With over 4 million registered users, and with about 15 million site visitors in a typical month; if there is a browser problem with some of the buttons after a programming change; it tends to get reported pretty quickly.  Whether it actually gets fixed in only 1 week is a different matter as they still only have 5 programmers for over 300 million web pages.

As for what Realtors® want?  The only think I know they want is a commission.  As far as I can tell, some like Zillow and some hate Zillow, and some couldn't care less one way or the other.

Funny, I just checked my two properties on Zillow (just for kicks because I nno longer find it reliable).  One of my properties is now almost at what it's vzestimate was before the software change, but by primary residence is now down to what it was when I purchased it....in 1988!  Laughable.  Anyway folks, get a couple of appraisals done by real experts who actually do a walk through...don't rely on this web site if ever thinking of selling or refinancing.

I think the issue with http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/170-Alto-Loma-Millbrae-CA-94030/15508628_zpid/
is that the last sold date in the home facts and the price history are not matching.
Home facts say: March '08
Price history says: 3/11/08

I"ve reported this. Hopefully, that is the fix.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Alright I found Pasa's Zestiment Thread!
Wooo Whooo!!!!

Zillow should Start on of it's own

Profile picture for miroslawg

I have used Zestimate charts a lot in the past three years. I tracked changes in the market where we are looking to buy a house (Central Florida). I compared asking and selling prices to the current Zestimates. In a way, I used Zestimate as market valuation baseline. Even with its inaccuracy, it was a very useful baseline. 
It is all out the window now as Zillow rewrote its own history.

In their own Q and A-s Zillow writes:
"Q: Will these changes impact the Zestimate history?
A: Possibly. …"
This is so dishonest! All the properties I have in my record (approx 60) have changed significantly.
I am done with Zestimes. If there are users like me out there, they will sure be disappointed.

Who is Zillow trying to please with this? I am sure its critics are celebrating: " We told you. It's wacky. Talk to your local agent"

Profile picture for jackbenimble999
I've always thought Zillow was roughly reliable. But, when I checked my home's value today, I was stunned to see it had dropped in value by $28k since March 1 and 18k since May 1, with a current "Zestimate" of 332k. 

I can't fathom this, as a recent sale a couple of streets over in a more crowded neighborhood, as house sold on 4/21/2012 for $355k. Yet, it has 1/2 the lot size of mine, the same sq. footage for the structure, and is also older by 20 years. Zillow has that house currently valued ad $322k, despite the fact that it sold for $30k more about 2 months ago! This despite that the trend for zip code is up, according to Zillow. 

In addition, my next door neighbor's house is valued at $360, despite a lot that is 2000 sq. ft. less and a square footage greater by 9 ft. - although the house is newer by 20 years. 

The house on my other side, which is roughly comparable, but has a smaller lot by 2,500 ft, sold for $384K just over a year ago, and is now valued at $334k.  Has it gone down in value by $50k in one year? 

Also, the new valuation brings my house to within 10k of the general valuation for my zip code. However, even with the rejiggered history, it has run at a minimum of a 30k difference over the zip-code valuation for the entire history available.  

I understand Zillow doesn't have information available like the updated roof, the new windows, the new burner and the new front steps, or the fact that the kitchen and bathrooms were redone when we first moved in 20 years ago. But even the generic data itself doesn't square with blatantly obvious facts such as recent sales prices and general neighborhood comparisons. Zillow - you screwed up big time. Go back to the old system!  

Profile picture for rock_creek_forest
The new algorithm is undermining the economic investment that home owners have invested in their homes. Home owners who want to refinance will have trouble due to this new algorithm with incorrectly defines home prices. I know that appraisers are not suppose to look at zillow but they often do and may be influenced by the estimate.  I used zillow as a resource when buying my home and now I am deeply disappointed that the new algorithm would change a home estimate by 100,000 overnight.  I am currently unlinking zillow estimates from my online accounts and asking my bank to use another resource for estimates. The most recent home sale on my street 1 block away from my home in the same area code sold for my exact price.  The estimate is NOT an accurate reflection of home prices.

Overnight with the new algorithm, my home price dropped literally 100,000. I am only analyzing the new algorithm since the old data disappeared. I purchased my home 18 months ago. From the time I purchased my home to today's date, the area code rose $40,000 (according to zillow). In contrast, my home dropped $94,000 (according to zillow).  Why? According to zillow data, similar homes sales average 50% more than my home.

I wish someone the best luck in trying to convince me that Zillow is as accurate as they come.  I guarantee you, you will not succeed.  There is no way in this universe that my house is now worth the same as when I bought it back in 1988.  There is no way!  If I ever need to have my hourse appraised for a sale, I will make sure I get more than one, but definitely will not accept one that is by any means influenced by Zillow.  I think Zillow is done for.  Good riddence.

Profile picture for AOTW
  • AOTW
  • Contributions:35
I'm just waiting for the class action lawyers to weigh in.

Profile picture for azweepay
I too have been affected by the recent change to the algorithm.  Quite honestly, the prices in my Washington, D.C. suburb were inflated at one time but they have since corrected significantly and were, in fact, on the rise.

Imagine my chagrin on June 26th when I received my most recent Zestimate digest email to see that while my housing value had "increased 0.1%" the Zestimate had dropped by $25,700 (6.9%).  While a house directly next door had sold for $65K over what they "Zestimated."

As evidence, I just wanted to include the email digest information received by Zillow here:

03/14/2011 -  2.0% decrease - $368,500 Zestimate
04/09/2011 - 0.5% decrease - $368,000 Zestimate
05/05/2011 - 0.4% increase - $370,000 Zestimate
05/31/2011 - 0.4% increase - $372,000 Zestimate
06/26/2011 - 0.1% INCREASE - $346,300 Zestimate (HUH?!)

From what I can gather in looking at the homes that have recently sold in my neighborhood the Zestimate is *at least* 7 - 9% BELOW the sale price.

The bottom line is, while I'm all about technology, allowing a computer algorithm to make arguably inaccurate valuations like this is a little disheartening.  I say that b/c this information in the wrong hands can have a potentially negative impact on my ability to sell or refinance my most prized asset.

Anyway, here's to hoping they get the "kinks" worked out.

Profile picture for jackbenimble999
Zillow risks irrelevancy as the very real evidence of the inaccuracy of their new method starts pouring in. They now risk becoming the MySpace of online real-estate evaluation sites, in this case due to one horrendous mistake. It's not too late, Zillow - just go back to the old way! 

I'm also interested in how their claim that the the new metric more closely tracks sales prices if the valuations exclude distressed properties. Does that metric also exclude distressed properties? You can't have it both ways. It seems clear they are incorporating distressed sales at some level in their valuations; otherwise how could they be more closely tracking all sales?  

"Does that metric also exclude distressed properties? You can't have it both ways. It seems clear they are incorporating distressed sales at some level in their valuations; otherwise how could they be more closely tracking all sales?" -

Yes, it excluded distressed sales also... they only use non-distressed sales for the modeling to create the estimates, thus they only use non-distressed sales for the checking of the median deviance from sold price as well.

Yes, they use the model to create estimates for the distressed properties too, and yes, they separately analyze statistics on distressed properties.  On Zillow's blog, they posted something to the effect of their statistics indicate that the distressed properties sell for approximately 15% less than if they were not distressed.

"I'm just waiting for the class action lawyers to weigh in." -

You will have to wait a long time, as:
1) lawyers are looking for income for the cases they take; Zillow has not made a profit yet after more than 5 years, and is already almost $90 million in debt.

2) There has to be "damages" for a class action law suit to be successful; and there have been no damages that can be substantiated nor quantified.

3) The law suits already occurred and were dismissed.

4) Zillow already has sufficient disclaimers on the use of their machine generated opinions, and terms of use published.  If someone misused the "opinion", then it is the party that misused the info that would need to be sued.

My Zestimate is WRONG
Profile picture for baseball2561
Latest reply by baseball2561
Class Action Lawsuit for Wrong Zestimates!
Latest reply by Pasadenan
August 14 | 4 answers
  • Posted by nickvarda
  • In Zestimates
Don't complain to Zillow, you can fix your Zestimate yourself
Latest reply by Pasadenan
August 11 | 33 answers
Why is my home's zestimate declining rapidly while my neighbor's stays the same?
Profile picture for szalkerous
Latest reply by szalkerous
July 30 | 72 answers
I see the Zillow estimate of my home's value dropped 20% literally overnight!!
Latest reply by user937790
July 24 | 12 answers